Eavesdropping

"He is so romantic," Krystine sighed dreamily after reading the letter, making Nevaeh's eyes pop out in astonishment. Is she hearing things? Being called a whore, and a bitch is romantic these days? She didn't even wish to recall the things he had made her write on that paper. A shiver of disgust ran down her body at the mere memory. 

"Your idea worked. I am gonna write him another love letter. This time more intense," Krystine voiced out in high pitch, super excited. Nevaeh stood behind her, almost gagging for she knew intense meant something else for her. 

"Nevaeh, tonight I want you to make dinner for me and my would-be husband," Krystine clapped her hands together in excitement and instructed Nevaeh. Krystine would never say it out loud, but Nevaeh cooked better than her maid. Nevaeh scowled. 

"But, Ma'am, I am your assistant," she protested. 

"You said something?" Krystine twisted her neck in her direction and raised a brow at her, daring her to refuse her again. Nevaeh begrudgingly lowered her face and shook her head in no.  

"No, ma'am," she gritted out. 

"Thought so," Krystine smirked. 

"Can I take a half day off? I have to go and see Nanna," Nevaeh asked. Krystine dismissed her with a wave of her hand. 

...........

"Nanna," Nevaeh chirped, stepping into the room. The wrinkly face of the old frail lady lit up with joy when she saw her. 

"Nivi," Granny tried to sit up but she was too weak to even move her limb without assistance. Nevaeh sprinted toward her and helped her sit up. She adjusted the pillow behind her, making sure she was comfortable. 

"How was your week? Did Charlie make any move on you yet? " Nevaeh wiggled her brows, excited to hear all the deets. Maria chuckled at Nevaeh's excitement. 

"He is just a friend," Maria answered. 

"Ohh..please, I've caught him making eyes at you too many times to believe your bullshit," 

"Words, Nivi," Maria warned Nevaeh to which Nevaeh grimaced and held both her ears.

"Sorry," she whispered. With a mischievous smile, Nevaeh leaned towards her Granny.  

"But it's true, you know. Charlie has hots for you," she whispered with the enthusiasm of a teenager. 

"How's life going?" Maria asked instead. Nevaeh's smile vanished instantly and a scowl appeared on her face. What could she answer to this question? 

"Ask someone who has a life," Nevaeh said the last word a little too dramatically. Her life was all about chasing after Krystine and making sure she had a life. Her granny reached out a hand and cupped her dimpled chin, making her look up at her.  

"Why don't you just quit? If the job is stressing you so much?" she asked, concerned. Nevaeh sighed. She would have quit long ago if she could. 

"Every job comes with stress, Nanna. And I don't mind my job much, at least, I get to eat in high-end restaurants even though most have their food tastes like shit," Nevaeh shrugged.

"I am burdening you a lot, ain't I? Let me die, Nivi," Nanna said, causing a sharp pang to strike Nevaeh's heart. 

"Say it one more time and I swear I'll never talk to you again," Nevaeh's mood changed entirely as she warned her granny with tears welling up in her eyes. Maria wasn't her burden but her only family that she didn't want to lose at any cost. 

Mariah smiled and kissed her forehead. 

..........

It took her about one hour and forty-five minutes to make all the dishes Krystine had listed. Krystine had told her not to add sugar, salt, spices, basically anything that brings flavor to food which made it easier for her to cook them. It was just basically boiled veggies with a different mix of gravies. 

Rubbing both her hands down her apron, she came out of the kitchen and headed towards Krystine's room to inform her that she had made the dinner. She entered the room only to find it empty. The sound of water running in the bathroom told her that her boss was taking a shower. She opened the door to the balcony to see the little plants wrapped in fairy lights. The view from Krystine's balcony was magnificent. Maybe, that's why rich people buy such expensive apartments in such poshe areas. The view makes it worth it. 

She got so lost in the view that she didn't realize the amount of time that had passed. When she realised, she turned around to leave. She was about to open the door when Krystine's sultry voice froze her to her spot. 

"I want you to fuck me raw, Mr. Volkov. I wanna feel your huge, hot cock inside me without any barrier," Nevaeh who had never heard Krystine pleading before couldn't believe her ear as the woman begged Mr. Volkov to take her without protection. 

"I don't do without protection, especially with a whore like you," Mr. Volkov's cold and contemptuous voice made Nevaeh tense up. They were doing it? How would she go out now? The shocking realization hit her like a sack of bricks- she was trapped now. 

A loud painful moan broke her away from her thoughts. She plastered herself against the wall, beside the door, her heart knocking against her ribcage. She didn't need to be told what had caused that moan. Soon, the noise of skin beating skin mixed with Krystine's obscene noise danced through the air. Nevaeh was close to melting into the ground due to the sheer embarrassment she was feeling. Her whole body had turned crimson with shame. Her ears were bleeding and her insides churned. Why did she have to get stuck in here? She slid down the wall and waited for them to get over with it so that they fell asleep and she would sneak out. But it seemed this animal had the stamina of a horse. She felt bad for her boss. She was screaming like a lamb about to be slaughtered and the man hadn't let out a single grunt.  

While waiting she didn't realize when she fell asleep. 

Krystine collapsed on the bed lifeless as soon as Sin released her hips. Her skin bore his handprints. Sin removed his condom and tossed it in the dustbin before pulling up his pants. He slipped on his jacket and made his way towards her balcony. The chilly gusts of wind hit his face as soon as he stepped out. His eyes swept across the lofty buildings, taking in the view. He took out a ciggeratte from his pocket and lit it up. Clenching it between his lips, he pulled a drag. 

As he took another drag, he caught a strange object from the corner of his eyes. His instincts went alert and he turned towards the object. He frowned at the sight of a girl sleeping against the wall on the balcony. Curious, he approached her. The girl was dead to the world, drool leaking from the corner of her mouth, her legs stretched out crudely. Half of her face was hidden behind her hair.

Crouching down, he took out a pen from his pocket and lifted her hair with it to see her face, making sure not to touch her. She was Krystine's secretary. A small pout was formed on her mouth, her brows were slightly furrowed, her head tilted to the right- she was going to have a pain in her neck tomorrow. The girl shivered when a chilly wave of wind passed through them. She was cold, he concluded.  

With that thought, Sin withdrew his hand, letting the curtain of locks reclaim her face. He got back to his feet, gripped the lapels of his coat, and fastened a button. Leaving the girl behind, he turned around and flung the ciggeratte butt off the balcony along with his pen while making his way towards the door. 

As he was about to get into his car, he angled his face up to Krystine's balcony. His eyes searched for someone. He could only see the face of the girl through the railing. He turned his gaze away from her after a moment and got inside his car. The car sped off. Whereas he was engulfed in warmth, she slept the night trembling in cold.