Coming Back To Old Life

Nivi opened the door. She didn't have to search through the crowd for her Nanna. She was sitting on her usual spot- the last bed by the window. Her gaze was fixed outside, lost in her thought. An air of melancholy surrounded her. Nivi wondered if she was thinking about her. A familiar pang of anguish contorted her heart. Her Nanna might have forgiven her but God had her sin underlined in red. Her Karma had finally caught up to her. She was convinced that everything that happened to her was her Karma. Suppressing her tears and forcing a smile across her face, Nivi propelled her feet towards her.   

"Nanna," she called, taking a seat next to her bed. The older woman's gaze drifted from the window to Nivi. The deep-set lines around her eyes spoke of a lifetime of experiences and knowledge. Her eye shone with intelligence. 

As Nanna's gaze landed on Nivi, a wide smile touched upon her lips and her eyes lit up with joy. 

"Nivi," she opened her arms. Nivi bent over and hugged her. Just then, a droplet of tears betrayed her eyes, soaking into her Nanna's sleeve. Nivi struggled to suppress her sobs as emotions overwhelmed her fragile heart. Despite her efforts, a sob still broke free.

"Nivi? What happened? Why are you crying?" Nanna worried out, holding her tight against her chest just like in the old days whenever she had nightmares.  

"I missed you," Nivi choked out, sobbing uncontrollably now. She indeed had missed her Nanna. She had missed her terribly after every time he tortured her.

Nanna pulled away to look at her. Her warm brown eyes reflected concern.

Nivi quickly wiped away her tears and pasted a small smile across her face only not to worry her nanna.

"I just missed you, that's all," she explained through her fake smile. She can't let Nanna know anything about Sin or she'll be more worried. 

" The trip was too long, wasn't it?" Nanna asked, stroking her hair in motherly affection. Fresh tears welled up in Nivi's eyes. If only her nanna knew the truth.  

"Too long, Nanna," her voice catching in her throat as she admitted brokenly. She hugged her, tears streaming down her cheeks.

She spent time with Nanna until she received a message from Chloe regarding a job interview. Since she had no job in hand, the urgency of employment weighed heavy on her mind. She needed a job, at least one that could help her survive until she figured out her future. She hadn't told Nanna about her sacking yet.

She had a job interview for a waitress profile in a bakery in 2 hours. If only she had continued her studies alongside her job but her tight schedule never allowed her that. She had given her heart and soul to her job and where did it take her? Now, she was without a job and a degree. Back to square one. She didn't blame Krystine for that. That monster was responsible for her ordeal. 

She bid goodbye to her granny after that. 

...........

Sin stepped out of his car and cast his eyes over the building. The timeless Volkov's residence stood tall and strong as ever. Built in Victorian style, this mansion looked nothing less than a castle. But for him, this symbol of luxury and wealth was just a torture chamber, his hell. This is where he was stripped of his sentiments and turned into the unfeeling monster that he is today. This was where his humanity died. But he no longer feared this place. He owned it now and if wanted he could also have it razed to dirt. But instead, he chose to donate it to his "family," solely because of his great-grandfather, Matteo.   

Taking off his shades, he approached the entrance adopting an air of nonchalance. 

As Sin had expected, he was welcomed with cold glares and unhappy faces. He had given them reasons of course. He couldn't see his step-mother expression because of the veil but he could tell she was scowling at him when her eyes landed on him standing at the doorway. His sight sent her up to her feet. Sin smirked and walked in with his hands buried in his pockets, delighted by her reaction. He enjoyed their hatred. Their hatred towards him was a testimony to his power over them.