Announcement Party

After putting on the earrings, she delicately retrieved the diamond necklace from the velvet box. The piece was heavy and just as exquisite as her other pieces of jewelry. She now owned a cupboard crammed with jewelry of all kinds. She hadn't even seen most of them but she knew they all were worth millions. Sin liked to gift her rare pieces. This one had his name etched inside the stone. It was for the world to know that she belonged to him. 

She retreated a couple of steps to assess her appearance. She was wearing a shimmery silver gown. The gown was a masterpiece, fashioned from the finest silk that cascaded gracefully to the floor. The off-shoulder sleeves were adding to its timeless beauty. Her hair was styled into delicate, bouncy curls. She looked rich and sophisticated. Things money could do. 

Today was their marriage announcement party, hence all this grooming. She tried to calm her nerves but her restlessness kept growing with each moment. She wasn't ready to be identified as that monster's wife. Her life had changed already but after tonight, the changes will be unmistakably stark and she wasn't looking forward for that. 

"Woww" his awe-struck voice interrupted her thoughts. She looked into the mirror and saw his reflection coming closer. Her unease intensified upon seeing his smile. His eyes were overflowing with admiration and awe, as if he hadn't seen a woman prettier than her. She couldn't understand his over-exaggeration. 

He placed his hands possessively on her shoulders and leaned in to whisper in her ear, "Let's hope no one dies tonight" His tone suggested humor, but not his gaze. There was a glint of danger in them. He wouldn't hesitate to kill if someone even dared to eye her with interest. She swallowed, feeling sick. 

Pressing a light kiss on her shoulder, he gently turned her around. His eyes conveyed rare tenderness that he only had for her. His gaze momentarily flickered away from her face to the table. He retrieved her wedding ring and gently slid it on her wedding finger. 

"Never take it off," he commanded gently but there was a steely edge to his voice. He hadn't taken off his wedding ring even once. In fact, he enjoyed the feel of it on his finger. 

After putting the ring in its rightful place, he glanced up to meet her eyes. Now his expression was serious. 

"Stay around me all the time. You'll also meet my step-family. My stepmom isn't the best person to be around. She is an evil bitch. Avoid her at any cost and also my step-siblings. If you think I am bad, then consider them worse," he instructed her in a stern voice. Well, he was the worst of all but not for her. 

Nivi nodded out of habit. 

He placed his hands on her cheek and gave her a solemn look. 

"Stay away from my step-family," he repeated for her, asserting in each word. 

"Okay," she said and looked a little hesitant before adding," when will you let me meet my nanna?" Her eyes were hopeful as she asked him. 

Sin's face was neutral as he responded," Soon." 

After that, he clasped their hands together and led her downstairs where all the guests were waiting for them. 

The hall fell silent as soon as they made their appearance. A deafening silence stretched on as they descended the stairs hand in hand. Nivi felt self-conscious. All the eyes were stuck on them, especially on her. Her nervousness mounted. She felt him squeezing her hand in assurance. Her ears caught the quiet murmurs as they reached the last step of the stairs. People approached them wearing wide grins and offered their congratulations. She had seen some of them on TV and the others were complete strangers.

Sin introduced her to his business partners. His tone had never been this warm and gentle before. He didn't leave her even for a second and kept her to his side. She searched everywhere but couldn't find Mikhail. His absence had begun to perturb her. She was desperate to ask Sin about his whereabouts but she was also scared to know the answer. What if Sin had killed him or mutilated him? She would never be able to forgive herself if that was true.   

"Is she a princess or an heir?" a woman covered in clothes came into her view. Only her eyes were visible that were currently studying her. She felt his grip tighten around her waist as she came closer. Nivi, curious, turned her gaze up to Sin only to find him glaring daggers at the strange woman. It was evident he had a strong dislike for this woman. 

"Viviana," Sin ground out, fixing her with a warning glare. Viviana didn't bother to greet him back. She was far more interested in the woman he was holding as if holding his life. 

"I am Viviana, Sin's mother," the woman introduced herself to Nivi. 

Nivi felt confused. The tension between Sin and this woman was palpable. It was so intense that she felt on edge. 

"Step-mother. And she is my wife, Nevaeh Volkov," Sin answered possessively. 

"Nevaeh," Viviana uttered her name and tried to recall if she had heard this name before. When she was unable to associate her name with any wealthy family, she asked her, "Which family?" 

"A family that's not on the verge of being thrown on the streets. Don't worry about my wife's family. Worry about yours," Sin warned her, assuming an aggressive posture. Nivi thought he was being unnecessarily rude, but kept her opinion to herself. 

Viviana didn't respond, she only observed Sin with her calculative eyes. 

After that, Sin led her away from Viviana.  

..........

She ran into Viviana while coming out of the bathroom. 

"I can see why Sin married you. You are pretty," she commented in a warm tone. 

"Thank you," Nivi replied, a blush heating up her cheeks. In two strides, the woman stood in front of her.  

"I don't mean to pry, of course, but...I know Sin and his ways. I just hope he is treating you well," she remarked, concern reflecting in her eyes. Nivi debated internally if she should spill the truth but decided against it. 

"He is good," she lied, pasting a fake smile across her face. Viviana didn't buy her lie and sighed in exasperation. 

"I've told him so many times to manage his anger but he never listens. He hates me because I am his stepmother, but I've always considered him my own son. Even after everything he did to me...... I don't know when he'll understand that other people have emotions too," she said, adopting a concerned voice. 

"I thought he'd change after marriage but........Anyway, welcome to the family," Viviana responded before reaching out for her hand and holding it in an affectionate grasp, " Do not hesitate to come to me when feeling overwhelmed. Sin may not consider me a family, but I do. And now that he has married you, you are a family too.  

Nivi smiled, feeling grateful for her offer. For the first time, someone had understood her grief.  

"Thank you," she expressed. 

The woman left after that. 

Nivi returned to the party and found him engaged in a conversation with some shady-looking guys. She had already gotten tired and decided to retire for the day. 

.............

She was in the bed and he was changing. She followed his movements for a long time, wondering if she should ask him or not. 

"Why was Viviana all covered," she questioned hesitantly. Her attire had intrigued her the most. 

"Because she is burnt from tip to toe," Sin answered, his mouth twisted into a content smirk. Nivi was both shocked and horrified to hear it. She couldn't help but feel bad for the woman. It must have hurt a lot. And the fact that she was doomed to live a life with all those burnt scars..she couldn't even imagine. 

"How?" she questioned, unable to restrain her curiosity. 

"Curious?" he turned towards her and asked. He was smirking. She quickly schooled her features.

He began to approach her, causing her instincts to turn alert. 

As he neared her, he leaned over her. His eyes had a twisted gleam in them. 

" I threw her into a pit of blazing fire. Her screams of agony had felt like music to my ears," he divulged in a tone so deranged that she felt chills shooting down her body. 

She could only gape at him in horror, at a loss of words. 

Just how crazy was he?