Shot

Like a wave crashing against a rock and shattering into millions of tiny droplets, Nivi's world was in tatters from the instant she met him. She was always on edge, always anticipating something worse, always begging and crying. He had reduced her to a helpless, scared lamb. 

Her lips stung terribly after his brutal act. It felt as though he had chewed them inside and out but the burn was nothing in comparison to the pain she felt down there. Even though he had left hours ago, her inside was still sore. She could still feel his filthy finger inside her, swirling and moving. Her veins were throbbing with rage. How dare he? What does he think of himself? She was angry, sad, so much disgusted. Her tears hadn't stopped falling since the incident. She had bathed thrice already but his scent clung stubbornly to her skin.  

Her arm hurt too. He had nearly again broken her arm today. She had never met someone this vicious, this cruel in her entire life, Krystine's rudeness had been nothing in front of him. May God bring him to justice soon and may he show this freak no mercy. Suddenly a vibration resonated through the room, jolting her from her thoughts. At first, confusion clouded her face as she couldn't understand where the sound was coming from, considering she didn't have a phone on her. However, the realisation hit her quickly and she raced towards her bed under which she had hidden the radio phone.

Grabbing the buzzing device, she dashed into the bathroom, locked it shut, and only then dared to answer the call.  

"Hello," she whispered into the device. A momentary silence followed her greeting. 

"How are you?" Ben replied from the other end. Nivi couldn't stop tears from flooding her eyes and clutched the device with both hands, beyond desperate for help. 

"When..when are you going to get me out of here?" she asked in a miserable tone. 

"I'll get you out of here but you'll have to do something for us," Ben proposed in a calm, measured voice. Nivi blinked, causing tears to fall down her cheeks. 

"You will have to testify against Sin," he stated. Nivi couldn't comprehend the meaning behind his words. 

"Testify?" she asked in confusion.                

"That bastard is too smart to leave any evidence behind. Help me catch him and I promise no harm will come to you," he negotiated, almost sounding as desperate as her. Nivi didn't even need to think about it. Her wounded pride was dying to get that freak punished. He deserved a severe punishment for all his wrongdoings.

"He is powerful. Are you sure he would get punished if I testified? Do you promise? What if he came after me or my family? He is a downright freak," she conveyed her doubts. She wasn't going to take the risk if there was even the slightest chance of him running free. It won't only risk her but her grandma's life too.

"I promise no harm will come to you and your family. We'll give you witness protection and as far as the subject of him facing consequences for his misdeeds is concerned, my entire team is working day and night to gather evidence against him. Once we have it, I promise I'll have him rotting in prison. No one is above law, Nevaeh. I just need one proof to bring down his empire of sins," Ben promised with unwavering conviction.            

More than his words, it was the conviction in his voice that enticed Nivi to take the risk. She also wanted him to rot in prison. She also wanted his power to dissipate, his empire to collapse into dirt. He'll look good behind bars with nothing but regrets in hand. 

"What will I have to do?" she questioned several moments later. How would she find out if she didn't take the risk? The one drowning grasps to any straw they find, Ben was also her last straw and she was going to hold onto it.