Moment Of Realisation

"I managed to control the situation in time but you need to check on your temper, Sin. I can't clean up after your mess every time. What if Viviana got wind of it?" Mikhail chastened him over the phone. Sin clenched his jaw as he was still wrestling with his anger. However, he didn't argue as he knew he had indeed screwed up this time.   

"Don't let Viviana know about her," he said. 

"Of course I am tryi.." before Mike could finish, Sin hung up. He wasn't in the mood to hear any taunts right now. Upon entering his room, he went straight to the bathroom and got in the shower. Heaving a heavy sigh, he began stripping under the cold running water.        

He knew he had overreacted, but fuck his life, he just couldn't control himself when he saw her smiling at another man. The sight of her smiling at another man drove him shit crazy. He clenched his eyes tight and attempted to calm his boiling fury.  

...........

Nivi had curled into a ball on the cold floor, still trembling and sobbing. He had shaken her to her core. The room was drowned in darkness but she didn't turn on the light, too afraid to move from her spot.

The room reopened sometime later, causing her to freeze in her spot. The ominous thuds of his footsteps against the marbled floor sent her heart into a frenzy. Her mouth went dry and tears flooded her eyes. She buried her face deeper into her knees, too terrified to look up.   

Her senses turned hyperactive as he hovered over her.  

"Butterfly," he called softly. She didn't dare to raise her face. Her sobs intensified, triggered by her fear of him. 

Sin crouched down to her level and reached out with his hand but as soon as he touched her shoulder, she flinched on instinct. Her instincts saw him as a threat. The realization stirred a sense of unease within him. He withdrew his hand, a pang of guilt constricting his chest as he watched her sobbing with fear. She was shaking uncontrollably. 

This turned out to be more complicated than he had expected. There were so many questions and he had no answer for them. It was supposed to be just a sexual arrangement then what was he doing here? Why her distress was distressing him? Why her tears were unsettling him? Why did he almost beat someone to death for her? Why can't he stand a moment away from her? What was this constant ache in his chest?     

"Sweetheart," his gentle voice sounded foreign even to him as he addressed her. She didn't respond. 

"Look at me," he implored without realizing. She took it as a command and reluctantly lifted her face to him. 

A sharp pang of heartache pierced him to his soul as he met her melancholic eyes. She looked devastated. His chest clenched painfully, suffocating him. 

"Are..are you going to punish me?" she asked between her sobs. The unadulterated fear in her eyes tore at his very being. 

He quickly extended his hand and wiped away her tears. 

"No, I won't punish you," he assured her in a gentle voice. 

"Quiet down, sweetheart," he urged. But she took it as a command and immediately clammed up. No matter how much she fought back her sobs, they slipped from her mouth. 

As she failed to suppress them, she met his gaze with eyes wide with fear and clarified, "I..I am trying to stop but I am not able to." A mixture of desperation and fear laced her trembling voice as she tried to convey her struggle to him. She didn't mean to disobey him. She wasn't able to control her sobs. 

Sin, overcome by a profound sense of a foreign emotion, gently cradled the back of her head and guided her face to his. His gaze traced the tremor of her delicate features before he pulled her into his arms. Her head landed against his bare chest as he lifted her onto his lap.