015||Needs of Many

Brystal drummed her fingers on the armrest on the captains chair

Brystal drummed her fingers on the armrest on the captains chair. Her posture poised with her back straighter than a toothpick. She stared into the murky depths of the alien planet while everyone maintained their posts. Few people were missing after being ordered by Kirk for an away mission, making her become the captain for the time being.

She began recalling the argument she had with Jim and Spock before Jim had the cocky idea of putting Spock in the volcano. Nor had she liked the idea of Bone going with them. Having the three most trusted officers on the ship going onto a planet was risky.

She was worried about Uhara and Sulu who were tasked with dropping Spock in the volcano. He would be supplied cold-fusion bomb that would freeze the volcano from exploding. The planet of Nibriu was already doomed to extinction before they had arrived. The civilization wasn't even close to inventing the wheel or any instruments that they had made at Starfleet.

She was now the daughter of two high-ranking Admirals to Starfleet. She couldn't afford to mess up or even put her parents to shame. Or even her brother Kit, who would equally have the same number of consequences as her, if  he was in this situation.

"Jim, I really don't think it's safe that you're putting Uhara's life and Mr. Spock's in danger. The danger is quite inevitable." She had made Jim try to listen to her.

"You do realize I'm risking my life too." Jim chuckled, sending an urge for her to roll her eyes.

"I'm serious though, Jim. You're leaving me to command the ship while you send Spock into an active volcano to save a race born to die. My father even specifically stated we were here to observe and not to intervene. If you find it so vital to interfere, do not put my best friend, Nyotas life on the line of death. This mission is doomed to fail and I'm not sure how I could possibly explain this to my father or the council."

"Look, Brystal. If this matters to you so much, the you should've totally asked your father about commanding this ship. Go the talk to Uhara to see why she's going anyway. And if we all die, at least you'll be the next captain."  Jim said, "Miss me already?" 

"In your dreams." Brystal smiled, before Jim  disappeared off with McCoy.

"Dammit, Jim! Can't you do anything, but shot your ride." Brystal grinded her teeth as she heard  McCoy over the comm shout at Jim. She was looking into the deep emptiness of the Alien sea while gearing the mission going over the comm.

"May I remind you you're speaking to the captain?" Jim asked her.

"We'll your: off ship, Spock's at the volcano, me: I'm in charge for the moment. So don't forget about that key part."