Holiday special~ AOT x Reader

Okay, let's do this (maybe) one more time. I'm in college and I'm on my break before classes start again. I have way too much free time and have gotten back into writing.

Modern AU

____________________________

You had been done with work. You were sick of deadlines and, while you liked your job, the never-ending paperwork was something you were glad to be away from. You were counting down the hours until you were finally dismissed for your holiday vacation.

You were finally meeting up with your old friends from high school. Reiner had mentioned how he had a big house for everyone to stay at and the group chat seemed pleased with the idea. You could finally catch up and see what had been going on since the last time you saw everyone.

Walking up the steps that had been covered in snow, you entered your apartment. Your phone rang, causing you to pull it out of your pocket. Your cousin;s name flashed on the screen and you answered the call, balancing the device between your cheek and shoulder as you unlocked your door.

"Hey, Ann." You shortened her already short name, walking inside your apartment. You turned on the heat, trying to warm up your freezing hands. You regretted leaving your gloves and, by the time you realized, you were already running behind for work.

"Hey, you're all good for meeting up this weekend?" Annie asked. She was your adoptive cousin but cousin all the same.

"Yeah, my flight is tomorrow." You explained, reaching up to grab your phone and adjust to hold it against your ear comfortably. "You and Armin gonna be there?"

"Yeah, we'll be there." You could hear the smile in her voice just from Armin being mentioned. They met in their first year of high school and didn't get together until two years later when Reiner had enough of their "dancing around feelings" act. "I heard Jean will be there, too."

Her smile had been replaced with a smirk and you groaned. "Annie, don't start." It was embarrassing how you had a crush on Jean Kirstein, a pretty popular boy in school. He had been a member of the football team and had apparently been rivals with the starting quarterback, Eren Jaeger. "That was a while ago."

"It's only fair, (n/n). Don't think I've forgotten about your teasing." Annie sounded amused and the hope you had been holding onto vanished. She clearly remembered how you endlessly teased her about her crush on her current boyfriend.

"But, you're together now, aren't you?" You tried to defend yourself, walking to the kitchen to pull out your bag of chips. Sasha had gotten you hooked on them by sending a recommendation via text message. You heard a very familiar voice, one that made you feel a sense of hope. "Is Armin there?"

"Um..." You heard a pause and you could picture her looking at her boyfriend for a moment. "No." She had resorted to lying, knowing you would get her boyfriend to help you out.

"Armin wouldn't approve of you lying." You brought up, making her sigh.

"He agrees with me, you know. There's such a thing as payback. Anyway, we'll see you after your flight. Bye, (n/n)." Before you could reply, she hung up the phone. She probably knew you would try to argue your way out of being teased and that would ruin her fun.

You pulled your cell phone away from your ear to look at the blank screen, sighing.

˚₊‧꒰ა ☆ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

One boring plane ride later, you were in Paradis Island. Luckily, the jet lag wasn't too bad since it was close to Marley. This meant that you could go to Reiner's place without worrying if you were going to fall asleep and miss out on time with everyone. Getting off the plane, you switched your phone off of airplane mode. You were startled to see Reiner calling. You answered, wondering what the reason was. "Hello?"