A Trip of the Souls

Brenda intently watched the unknown force enveloping Xavier, she had not come across something like this before but then, the ways of the gods are always mysterious and from what she had gleaned so far, there is little she could do.

"Could you tell us what is happening?" In agitation, Aliona held Brenda's gaze waiting for an explanation.

She sighed and shook her head as she looked at the worried parents, "we will have to wait it out."

"For how long?" Nickolai asked even though he had not taken his eyes off his son. Aliona worriedly darted her eyes between Xavier and Brenda, hoping for solution or miracle.

"Isn't there something you can do? Aliona grabbed Brenda, feeling a rush of energy through her hands, before she could let go, Brenda tightened the grip, holding them strongly as she threw her head back as she was momentarily went under a hypnotic state.

Ali felt the strong hold of Brenda, like she was under a spell, Brenda closed her eyes, muttering incomprehensible words and she didn't let go of Aliona.

Nickolai watched the scene before him, "keep calm" he told his wife, he noticed Xavier's cry had stopped, he rushed to his crib, forgetting that he could be thrown back, he picked up his son who was in deep sleep. There was no trace of the red mark as if nothing happened.

Nickolai watched the beads of sweat on his body which was the only indication that he had gone through something rigorous moments ago.

Aliona felt Brenda's grip had lessened, she carefully sat her down before rushing to meet her son.
"This is getting stranger by the second. Where are the marks? There's nothing to show that he had cried for hours"

They watched as Xavier further snuggled into her chest, the sound of someone being conscious made them turned to Brenda who walked up to them and placed her hand on Xavier's forehead.

Again, she went into trance. Nickolai gently transported them all to the drawing room, making sure they were all sitted as comfortable as their position would allowed.

Nickolai heard Herbert approaching and went to meet him as he was about to open the drawing room door "did you hear anything last night?"

Herbert was taken aback, but answered his master's question anyway, "none"

As he had suspected, meaning no one was able to hear Xavier's cry except them.

"Is everything all right?" Herbert studied his master's face, seeing he was in a deep thought before asking.

Dismissing him, "never mind. I'll call you later to drop Brenda back to her home."

With no question asked, he only replied, "ok"

Nickolai found Brenda conscious and seemed to be waiting for him, with apprehension on what she was about to say, he sat beside his wife who had their son still sleeping in her arms.

"What did you see?"

Without beating around the bush, Brenda looked into Aliona's eyes, "what's happening to your son is the consequence for your action"

"Me? What did I do? What do you mean?"

"You remember what happened the night you went to the Argonark Woods?"

Aliona's heart sank, she knew right then what she was about to hear next would have something to do with the unknown woman.

Before she could answer, Nickolai spoke, "what does that have to do with our son. We all know Ali is innocent."

Brenda smirked as she shook her head, "not that"

"You mean the strange woman I saw giving birth"

In affirmation, Brenda nodded.