Working with Mrs Ramsey

Trudging along the road which led to the bakery from her home, it had become a norm for her to dread going to the place of hell called bakery which was once a paradise.

Shortly after her father left for a new job, Mrs Montgomery had fallen sick. To sustain the bakery, she had written to her sister, Mrs Ramsey who lived far away to come stay with them and manage the bakery. Ever since the stern sister arrived, things had not been the same.

She felt her pale hand which was getting thinner and rougher by the day as a result of dipping it in water the whole day. Mrs Ramsey who already felt uncomfortable that Seraphine was living under the same roof as her sister and nephew couldn't bear seeing her nearby decided to change her role. Stationing her permanently behind the bakery with the excuse that the customers had started to complain so she had no choice than to put her where she would hardly be seen.

Before Mrs Ramsey's arrival, Seraphine had only been tasked with keeping the bakery clean along with Cohen and afterwards they were free to play till their attention was needed primarily to run errands which was on rare cases.

However, Mrs Ramsey considered Seraphine to be old enough to 'earn her keep' her exact phrase for seraphine's situation. Since her father was not sending money for her upkeep, she might as well be useful by contributing to the sustainability of the bakery.

She laid off the two maids in charge of washing the pans for the bread and put her in charge. Now she had to spend the whole day, washing the pans, God forbid receiving the wrath of Mrs Ramsey if the pans were not cleaned before the next day.

She quickened her steps, ignoring the pain of trekking back and forth to the village everyday, at least, she would sleep peacefully during the night.

Since there was a new addition under Mrs Montgomery's roof, she had no choice than to share the room with Mrs Ramsey who had insisted that she take the hard floor while she takes the bed for herself. Seraphine's first night sharing the room with her was a nightmare. Mrs Ramsey had instructed that Seraphine must blindfold herself before sleeping to avoid seeing her scary eyes in the middle of the night, in her words, "you know people sometimes leave their eyes half-open at times while asleep, to avoid any possibility of you doing that."

As if the discomfort of having a piece of cloth round one's head was not enough, she was plagued with her deafening snore. She wondered how complaints hadn't been made by the entire villagers against Mrs Ramsey's loud snore ever since she arrived. Perplexed on how she could sleep so peacefully while such loud noise comes out from her.

Having decided that she couldn't bear the hard labour she was undergoing during the day at the bakery and at night at the mercy of Mrs Ramsey. She had contemplated on which to escape from. She decided to endure working at the bakery since it comes with breakfast and lunch, besides, that was the only place that could accept her. Looking for the perfect reason to vacate the house, She begged Cohen to testify that her father was back which would allow her go back home.

"Are sure you saw her father? And why hasn't he come to thank my sister for taking care of his daughter?" She asked in her usual annoying tiny voice.

Seraphine who hadn't thought of the second question fidgeted, twisting her fingers behind her back as she looked at Cohen, hoping he'll come up with something.

"But he already came, he was here yesterday when you both had gone to the bakery" the boy quickly answered. Grateful that Cohen had stayed behind yesterday even though she had to do his potion of the chores.

Cohen held his aunt's gaze, knowing there was no way she could confirm with his mother since she could barely talk. With pure relief when the staring contest between aunt and nephew was finally over which meant Mrs Ramsey had decided to let go for now, she had returned to her home.

Since she had gone back home, with no obligation to 'earn her keep' anymore, Mrs Ramsey had come up with saddling the task of opening the bakery and getting it ready for the day with her.

Increasing her pace to avoid getting in trouble with her grumpy temporary boss, Seraphine got ready for the start of a new day, hopefully she would pass the day without her nasty comments.

"Hurry up and clean the pans, we have many orders, or do you wish we don't so you can get off work early today?" Looking down her nose at the thin girl with messy hair covered in soot.

Seraphine willed herself to continue, making sure she rushed whatever she was doing at that moment or else she might complain again about dallying with work.

Her stomach rumbled, reminding her she had not eaten today, she had been unable to ask her for food since she wasn't able to clean the pans on time in the morning.

"Are you listening or you're daydreaming?"

Holding back her tears that has welled up, "I'm listening ma'am"

She wished her father had taken her with him instead of leaving her, drawing back her quivering lips as she listened to her while watching other kids her age playing around.

"Do you wish to join them?" Mrs Ramsey sneered while looking at her, unlike others who shared the same opinion and reaction with Mrs Ramsey regarding her eyes but avoid meeting her gaze, she was the first and only one who always looked directly into her eyes while talking to her, like she was daring her.

Seraphine shook her head while Mrs Ramsey scoffed, "you better not. I'm glad your father see things the way I'm seeing it. A girl needs to work and be able to support the family" twisting her lips, "now hurry up or else you'll miss your lunch as well."

Telling her that her father insisted she continued working at the bakery since a female needs to learn her ways around the kitchen was the explanation she can come with for why she was still working if actually her father was indeed back.

On getting home that, Seraphine moaned in pain, feeling exhausted as her joints ached due to the hard work she did that day. Glad that the next day is a rest day, she was going to sleep in.

Looking around the room, she felt sad that her father wasn't with her, missing him terribly. She had form the habit of talking to an object in the sparsely decorated house. Groaning as she moved her limps to carry herself to bed, her frail tiny fingers massaged her legs, causing her to whimper at intervals.

The night beeze rustled the leaves, a howl was heard at distance, causing a shiver throughout her body. She dozed off to sleep while planning on how to get another means of survival, Mrs Ramsey's maltreatment was starting to take a toll on her.