The Interrogation Room

Seraphine was still recovering from the shock of being arrested yesterday as she was being led to the interrogation room. Dismayed at how she was the one being arrested after explaining and showing a concrete proof of the violent act. The constables had refused to listen to her but rather thrown her in jail for a crime she had previously reported herself.

She had been distraught since the night before, tired of trying to explain the situation again and telling them she was innocent but no one had cared to listened. It was as if their life depended on throwing her behind bars.

Since it dawned on her that whatever fit she threw would only affect her already swollen neck, she had decided to try again the next day.

The first thing she heard was the jingles of keys as one of the officers opened the jail door, she had rushed forward, unable to sleep a wink in the stinking cell, "officer, I swear to you, I'm innocent. One of the factory owners did this to my neck. Would I harm myself so as to accuse Mr. Orsini of this? Why would I do that?"

The officer scoffed, "you're not the first person to go to such crazy length in order to gain the attention of Mr. Xavier." Leading her to the room where she would be questioned the man looked at her, "there's one thing I don't understand, what do you mean by 'one of the factory owners'?"

Recalling that the vampire who attacked her had introduced himself as one of the owners of the factory, "I mean just that, Mr. Stephen Orsini did this to me"

Realising that the young woman must have mixed up the cousins, or assumed there are multiple owners of the factory, he smiled without saying a word, it was not his business to clear up any misunderstanding, neither was it to make her see the errors of her ways.

The door slammed behind her as she stepped into a room with two chairs and a table between them. Looking around to see she was the only one in, she tried the knob and when it didn't move, she didn't bother to struggle with it, sitting down, she took a step by step recount of how it happened and her blood boiled in anger.

Her anger turned to hurt as she imagined this was exactly how her father must have felt when he was falsely accused. Determined that she would not let her fate be the same as how her father's was, she quietly sat and waited for the next line of action.

Stretching her sore body which begged to lie down and have a good sleep, she folded her arms beneath her breast as she waited.
*********

Everyone knows officer Appleberry is the most selfish and ambitious officer in the town's station. It didn't come as a surprise to them when he started scurrying around to ensure everything was in order before the arrival of Xavier Orsini who was on his way to interrogate the female who accused him.

Appleberry had taken over the case the moment he overheard the young lady mentioned the factory owner.  For someone who had been looking for a way to be on a good term with Xavier Orsini, he had to make sure he did a wonderful job, something that would pleased and impressed the Vampire Lord when notified.

Beaming as he ensured the constables were in their right post, as he prepared for the vampire's arrival. The vampires are worthy of his time unlike the human Lords he had to put up with. Knowing if he did well, he could secure a passage to an unlimited opportunities to living a smooth life through mixing with the powerful kinds.

He blessed the previous evening when he witnessed the lady with the dark spectacle came to report one of the most influential vampire.

After listening to her, he had immediately summoned a carriage to the Orsini Manor to inform Mr. Xavier of the new development.

Squirming under the intimidating presence of the vampire, he swallowed as he continued, "erm" stuttering, he quickly straightened his shoulder, his well-being lies on creating a good impression, "a lady came to our station, with a false claim that you assaulted her"

Appleberry gulped in another saliva, there was no way he would outright announce that the lady wanted to file a suit against him, he had to doctor his words in a way that would sit well with the vampire.

Not bothered to ask about the identity of the lady since he knew whom it would be, without taking his eyes off the papers on his desk, "and if it was a false claim, shouldn't she be arrested for it?"

"Of course, as soon as I leave here, I would send my men to arraign her for such lies" squaring his shoulders widely, he stood still as he waited for Xavier to give a nod of approval or anything to show he was pleased with his prompt response.

"You can go" with two fingers, he was dismissed, Xavier folded the papers as he thought about the girl's foolish action.

*********
Marching towards the entrance to ensure he would be the first person to welcome such an important guess, Appleberry grinned with satisfaction, he had put the lady in the cell, unbothered about her loved ones' pleas even though the girl herself had not really said anything except standing on her ground of being innocent.

He had thought of teaching her a lesson himself but when he received a letter from the Orsini Manor, instructing him that Mr. Xavier will himself to do the questioning, he had postponed her punishment.

How dare she lied against a vampire, everyone knows how ruthless they are and as ruthless and cold as they are, none came close to being as aloof as Xavier Orsini. Before he was tasked with the responsibility of heading the town's station, Appleberry had eavesdropped one day over the conversation between his former boss and a guest on how difficult it was to gain the attention of the vampire but if one was lucky enough to get it, it would be worth all the wait.

Remembering the number of factories Mr. Xavier owned across the kingdom and his father's position as the presiding leader of the upper house, there was no way he would let the opportunity of being on the radar of Xavier Orsini slip through his fingers.

After witnessing mr. Xavier's uninterested attitude to his reputation the day before, it further backed what he heard about the aloof and bored expressions he always put on in public.

The sounding of a moving carriage as it drew near made him looked up, recognising the family crest which was largely designed on the coach, he rubbed his sweaty palms against his trousers to dry them.

"Good to have you here, my Lord" stretching his hands a little as he hoped for a handshake. He needed to show his subordinates how close to being important he was becoming but before he could fully stretched them, Xavier spoke.

"Where is the girl?" Striding past the officer, Xavier glanced around, inhaling the stench of vomit which hung in the air, he watched as the officer quickly walked past him to lead him to the last room in the hallway.