Г л а в а 10

The sulfa-drug ended up working and Ruri was all better

The sulfa-drug ended up working and Ruri was all better. Turns out this village had something to do with Senku's dad (wasn't really paying attention due to these damn cramps), and now the nerd is chief of the village. Good for him, he's totally leader material anyway. What I wasn't expecting was that he made ME his second in command. The hell is wrong with him?

Now everyone is celebrating Ruri's recovery, and Senku allowed me within the village grounds. Kaseki, an old craftsman that's been helping the scientist, is currently challenging me to a drinking contest.

I crossed my arms, staring down at the man. "Listen you crazy bastard, I don't think you understand what you're getting into. I can't get drunk."

Senku, standing next to me with his own drink in his hand, looks at me with a raised eyebrow. "You can't get intoxicated?"

"No," I lowered my voice so only he could hear. "Because of the serum."

He was about to say something until we're both interrupted by a random villager shoving a small jug of booze into my hands. Kaseki had one as well. He looked at me with a challenging glint in his eye.

I sigh in defeat. "Alright old man, let's get this over with."

The same villager gave us a countdown, and we started chugging our drinks. The craftsman had to breathe about halfway through, but I didn't. I ended up finishing before him, handing the now empty jug back over to the villager; he looked stunned.

Kaseki finished his, staggering somewhat. Yeah, if he wasn't drunk before, he's certainly plastered now.

"We good here?" I ask.

"I've never met someone who could out-drink me."

"Well now you have, and because of you I'm gonna have to pee so bad." I pouted.

He laughed. "Ha! I like ya, little lady! Where did ya learn to drink like that anyway?"

Sniffing, I awkwardly scratched my cheek. "Uhh-"

"Senku? Sorry to interrupt, but I've got something I must show you." Ruri came out of no where. I look over to where the old man was, but he already wandered off elsewhere.

The scientist looked over at me for a moment, and I waved him off. "Jeez nerd, go ahead. What am I? The scientist's keeper?"

He rolled his eyes before walking away with Ruri.

After that, I found Chrome, Koko, and Gen. We all talked for a while before I had to run off towards the woods because I had to pee really bad. Damn Kaseki.

*****

When I came back from going to the bathroom, there was absolute chaos. From the looks of it, Kinro is being cornered by who I can only assume are some of Tsukasa's men. With speed and silence, I approach. There's a group of muscle-bound idiots flanking each side of another man. Now he looks like the actual threat, and it's obvious he's the one leading the attack. Before he can skewer Kinro, I throw myself in front of the village guard, becoming his shield. Can't exactly use my powers. I didn't have enough time to block, therefore the spear stabbed me straight in the abdomen. The wound felt like it wasn't too deep, thankfully.

"KIERA!"

"STAR!"

"Oh god, Kiera..." Kinro whispered from behind me.

"Relax, I've had worse. I'll be fine."

The man standing before me had white-silverish hair, and he wore a mask that covered his mouth and nose. Kinda reminded me of The Asset.

"Oh? And who may you be?" He spoke almost eloquently, like Loki. Gross.

"Your mom." I couldn't stop the sarcastic reply even if I tried. I saw an opening, and I just had to take it. He set himself up for that one.

"Ah, a sarcastic brat. Lovely."

His lackies went to make a move, but he put an arm out to stop them. "No, this one is mine." His voice was soft but cold. He seems very confident in himself, and I can't wait to knock him down a few pegs.

Without a care for my injury, I bring up my leg and swiftly kick his spear, snapping it in half. "This village is under my protection now. Lay a hand on any one of these people, and I will skull-drag you so hard you'll forget your own name."

A hand was placed on my shoulder, glancing back I see Senku now standing behind me. "And the Kingdom of Science has produced lots of guns. Tell Tsukasa Ishigami Senku is alive, and we're not afraid to put up a fight."

"I see. So you were alive this whole time. Very well, Senku." He then looked over at me. "Me and this brat have a score to settle. We will be back."

"Dude, kiss my ass. I wouldn't break a sweat fighting you." I grumble.

"Tch. Let's go!" He orders his men, and they all retreat back into the forest.

"Are you a moron?" Senku was now glaring at me.

I reach out and gently bump his cheek with my knuckles. "I'll be okay Учёный, promise." My smile is small but genuine.

He pinched the bridge of his nose. "What am I going to do with you? Fine, at least let me patch you up." He grabs my hand and drags me away towards his makeshift lab.

There he had me sit on the table as he cleaned my side. "I'm gonna stitch it up, but I can't promise it'll be the best job."

"I can do it." I shrug.

He hesitated before handing me the needle and thread, watching as I start stitching my wound.

"So how is it that the serum makes you immune to the effects of alcohol?"

"To put it simply, my metabolic rate is insane."

"You don't need to put things 'simply' with me, Star."

"I know."

"Oh I see, it's because you don't know the scientific details of it yourself, so you keep it simple for your simple-minded self."

"... Senku."

"Mhm?"

"I'm holding a needle, and you're standing within perfect stabbing distance, all while insulting me."

His face slightly pales as he takes a step back. I was joking, but I really do enjoy screwing with him.

Once I finished with the stitches, I let him clean the wound again for good measure.

The serum was already kicking in, my body began to feel hot, and I was feeling drowsy. "I'm gonna head to bed, tell the others I'm fine and I just need some sleep. Sorry your night was ruined."

He smirked, shaking his head. "No need to apologize, the night would've been more ruined if it wasn't for you." He absentmindedly reached out and quickly stroke his thumb against my cheek, causing my eyes to slightly widen and my heart to speed up. What is he doing?

Pulling his hand away and walking to the entrance of the lab, he shoots me an annoyed stare over his shoulder. "Just don't ever do something idiotic like that again." With this, he was gone, leaving me in a frozen state.

Snapping out of it, I make way to the hut and scurry under my blankets; my body felt too hot, hotter than normal, and my heart was beating so fast I thought it was going to explode.

What the hell is this shit?