Г л а в а 17

The next morning, Senku and I helped with the rest of the lab repairs that needed to be finished before he pulled me aside around lunch time, requesting that he start learning Russian

I don't really understand why he wants to learn that language specifically; there's other languages I know that he could choose from. Maybe he just likes the way it sounds?

We originally planned on studying by the river, but multiple villagers were there either catching fish or collecting herbs in the vegetation nearby. Considering winter is practically upon us, it's understandable that the villagers are all over the place, stocking up on materials.

We found a clearing in the woods with a fallen tree that we're using to lounge on.

Using an app on my phone for drawing, I wrote out the Russian alphabet, and how each letter was pronounced under them.

"The Russian language uses the Cyrillic alphabet which is closely related to the Greek alphabet, although it's got added letters that possess a Slavic sound." I say, handing him the phone.

He looks over the alphabet before saying, "Seems a little complicated, certainly not as easy as learning English."

"Yeah, it's definitely up there in the more difficult languages to learn, Учёный. Learning English is gonna seem like a fucking cake walk once you really get into it."

"What is it that you're calling me when you say that?"

"Учёный just means 'scientist'."

"Really? And here I thought you were calling me something insulting." He snickered.

"Nah, we'll get into the fun and spicy words later. Now if you wanted to say 'I'm a scientist', you'd say Я учёный."

"Я... Учёный." He repeated, except it sounded a little off because he was still using a head-voice that's used when speaking Japanese; it makes your voice more high pitched naturally.

"With Russian, you speak with your chest. It's gonna seem a little off putting because your voice will sound deeper. Even with English you speak with your chest. Разве мой голос не звучит глубже по сравнению с тем, когда я говорю по-японский?" (Doesn't my voice sound deeper compared to when I speak Japanese?)

"I have no idea what you said, but I have to agree, your voice got deeper." He smirked. "Definitely pairs well with your King Kong strength, really adds an intimidating flare."

Sneering, I smack him upside the head which causes him to lose balance and face-plant in the grass. Snickering, I pull him up by the back of his shirt and drop his scrawny ass back on the fallen tree.

He groans, rubbing his head. "Can't you pull your punches sometimes, Star?"

"Oh shut the hell up, that was like, a third of my strength. Try 'I'm a scientist' again, but this time, say it with your chest, little man." I taunt.