Г л а в а 15

Senku and I had laid there until the sun came up

Senku and I had laid there until the sun came up. The scientist had bags under his eyes, and knowing it's my fault, I felt guilty. I ended up giving him some of my energy, which made him feel a lot better physically, but mentally I could tell he was rather distraught by what he saw he last night.

He wasn't really saying much throughout the morning, and it worried me. Maybe he needs space from me today. In fact, maybe I should sleep somewhere else altogether, that way my dreams don't spill over our mental connection. I know Koko wouldn't mind if I joined her and Ruri in their hut in the main village.

The parts of the village that sustained damage from the fire had to be rebuilt. Occasionally I'd help out in the areas Kohaku was working on, but remembering that Gen wanted to spend some time with me, I ended up seeking him out.

He was helping Chrome and Ginro with repairing the lab, and I offered to do whatever heavy lifting was needed.

"But Kiera-Chan, you have a broken arm." Gen stated.

"I know, but it's alright, I still have one good one. And let's be honest boys, I'm a helluva lot stronger than you three."

"This is true, but what kind of men would we be if we let an injured woman do all of the heavy work?" Ginro frowned.

My deadpan stare had them all quickly raising their hands up in surrender.

A couple of hours passed by with meaningless chatter between the four of us. It was nice, and I'd say I became closer to the three. Before we knew it, it was already the afternoon, and most people stopped to take a break for lunch.

I wasn't hungry though, and told Gen I'd rather go for a walk. He insisted on accompanying me, and brought a small bowl of the weird knock-off ramen they had around here, with him.

"You seem rather disheartened today, Kiera-Chan." He spoke as we strolled through the woods.

"Just didn't get much sleep last night."

"Bad dreams? Or is something on your mind?"

"A mixture of both. I get nightmares about my past, and I feel bad because it wakes Senku up and he loses sleep over it." It wasn't entirely a lie.

"Ah, I've been meaning to ask: what is you and Senku's relationship?" He had a sly smile on his face.

"Huh?"

"You two are quite close, even some of the villagers can tell. Are you two secret lovers?"

This made me choke on my spit, Gen now laughing at my flustered state.

"It's not like that, Gen. He and I are simply close, ya know, I think of him as my best friend in this weird world of yours. So naturally, I'm protective of him. His level-headed demeanor makes me feel safe I guess."

"Come now Kiera-Chan, you can't fool me, I'm called 'mentalist' for a reason. I've seen the way you two look at each other." He was still smirking like an idiot.