Г л а в а 26

I'm sitting in the observatory part of the hut, in front of the makeshift cell phone that Senku had finally completed, Chrome right next to me

He wanted to test it out, so he's over in the main part of the village in Ruri and Kohaku's hut with Gen.

Everyone keeps hinting at Chrome that this is the perfect opportunity to confess his feelings to Ruri.

He takes a deep breath, leaning down to speak into the phone. He pauses, then says, "Ruri, isn't science amazing?!"

Wow, how romantic.

Lightly pushing Chrome out of the way, I speak into the phone, "Is this the Krusty Krab?"

There's a long, drawn out sigh on the other side of the line from Senku. I can hear Gen giggling in the background.

"No, this is Patrick." Answered the scientist.

Gen starts cackling, causing me to burst out laughing. I can't believe Senku actually went along with it.

"Thanks for that, Учёный. You just made my day!"

"Yeah yeah, whatever-

"Also, Gen... Can I speak with you later?" I don't know who else to talk to about my feelings. I've been trying to remain as calm as possible, but it's really hard when I'm around Senku most of the time. What am I supposed to do? Just casually say 'hey nerd, by the way, I'm in love with you'? Yeah, like that'll go well.

There's a bit of shuffling before Gen speaks, "Of course, Kiera-Chan."

I feel bad that I'll be dragging him into my problems, but Gen is the only one I know I can talk to about this kinda shit. Kohaku and Ruri would just tease me, and Chrome would say I'm a hypocrite.

******

I'm coming back from hunting, dragging a few deer behind me that I've got tied together by a rope. I noticed we were getting low on meat, so while everyone was busy being enamored with the cell phone, I decided to just take care of it myself.

I take notice that all of the villagers are outside of Senku's lab, a voice emitting from the inside. Dropping the deer, I get closer, standing in the back of the crowd.

The voice sounds like a recording, and as I listen carefully, I realize it's Byakuya by what he's saying.

It goes quiet for a moment before some woman starts singing. Her song and voice aren't familiar to me, unfortunately.

The villagers are in complete awe, listening to the singing with total admiration.

Once it's over, I push past the crowd, weaving in and out of people, making my way inside the lab. Almost as if they knew I wanted a moment to speak with the scientist, the crowd began to disperse, everyone going back to what they were doing.