Chapter 5: I trust you, kid

After wandering around the shield base and trying to think, she decided to head back, she didn't belong here, she wasn't fit for this either. She wanted to go back home and figure out her life. Maybe Avengers wasn't the thing for her after all. So she decided to say goodbye to her dad and wish him good luck.

She entered Bruce's Lab and found them in the middle of a very intense argument.

"I know guys with none of that worth ten of you. Yeah, I've seen the footage. The only thing you really fight for is yourself." Steve said as he stared down Tony. This angered Nova, though she had no idea what was going on, and it was possible that the argument was definitely started by her Dad. "You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you."

"I think I would just cut the wire." Tony shot back.

It was then when they noticed Nova standing at the entrance. Before she could say something, Nick Fury remarked, "We see you brought your daughter, Stark."

"What? How'd you know about that?" Tony asked him.

"She's your daughter?" Natasha convened.

"This is shield, Stark. We knew about your daughter even long before you did." Fury boasted.

"Wait, What?" Tony questioned.

"You brought your daughter to a war?" Steve asked, losing further respect for Tony.

"You try arguing with a teenage girl." Tony said.

"I'm 21." Nova intervened.

"Barely." Tony said.

"This shows the kind of man you are, bringing your daughter to a place right in the middle of trouble." Steve said, Making Nova frown. "You know, you may not be a threat, but you better stop pretending to be a hero."

"Hey! That's not fair!" Nova said. She just stood up to Captain America, her heart rate tripled.

"A hero? Like you? You're a lab rat, Rogers. Everything special about you came out of a bottle!" Tony shot back. Though Nova didn't agree, it did make her happy. No one should ever insult her Dad.

"Yeah, this is a team." Bruce snarked.

"Agent Romanoff, would you escort Dr. Banner back to his-"

"Where? You rented my room."

"The cell was just in case-" Fury tried to explain but was cut off by Bruce.

"In case you needed to kill me, but you can't! I know! I tried!" Silence engulfed the room. "I got low. I didn't see an end, so I put a bullet in my mouth and the other guy spit it out! So I moved on. I focused on helping other people. I was good, until you dragged me back into this freak show and put everyone here at risk!"

"You wanna know my secret, Agent Romanoff? You wanna know how I stay calm?" He said and unknowingly grabbed the scepter. Fury and Nat gripped their guns. Everyone in the room became vigilant.

"Doctor Banner," Steve spoke up, "Put down the scepter.

Banner looks down at his hand, shocked to see himself holding the scepter and puts it down. Just then the computers start to beep. Tony and Banner walk over to them.

The tesseract had been located.

"I can get there faster." Tony said and begins to leave, Steve stops him.

"You're not going alone!" He said.

"You gonna stop me?" Tony said.

"Put on the suit, let's find out."

"I'm not afraid to hit an old man"

Nova had had enough of it all. "SHUT UP! BOTH OF YOU!"

"Nova, stay out of this." Tony said.

"No! I'm not gonna, you two are bickering like little children, it's tearing the whole team apart, how do you expect to win this fight if you don't even wanna be on the same side?" She lectured them. Tony and Steve both looked at each other like two little kids that just got lectured by their mom.

At that moment, there was an explosion on the helicarrier. Everyone was thrown in different directions. Steve, Tony and Nova on one side, the rest on the other.

Steve looked at Tony. "Put on the suit."

The three helped each other up and hurried out the lab. They reached the hallway, "Find engine three, we'll meet you there!" He told Steve.

"We?" Nova asked.

"Come with me." Tony took her to the tech room inside Both their suits stood waiting in all their glory.

"I'm sorry about what I said earlier, I trust you kid. Now suit up." He told Nova and smiled at her.

~

On the Portside of the helicarrier, Cap, Tony and Nova were trying their hardest to fix the broken engine. Tony and Nova were close to the broken engine. Tony observed the inner workings and layouts of the engine from his suit.

"I gotta get this super conducting cooling system back online before I can access the rotors and work on dislodging the debris." He said. Nova understood none of it.

He looked over to Steve, "I need you to get to that engine control panel and tell me which relays are in overload position. Nova you go help him."

Nova headed over to Steve's side while he jumped over to the other side of the railing, and yanks open the control panel. Both him and Nova looked at each other. "So, um, that's a bunch of- wires." Nova said to him, making him smile.

"What's it look like in there?" Tony asked.

"It seems to run on some kind of electricity." Steve replied.

"Even if I clear the rotors, this thing won't re-engage without a jump. I'm gonna have to get in there and push." Tony said.

"But you could get shredded." Nova said.

"See that red lever? It'll slow the rotors down long enough for me to get out. Stand by it, wait for my word." Tony instructed.

Cap and Nova jumped on over beside the red ledger, waiting on Tony's command. But they're met with Barton's men, who looked too much like shield agents, well, until they started attacking them. Cap and Nova fight back, taking them down one by one.

"Where'd you learn to fight like that?" Cap asked, impressed.

"Well, I guess I'm a natural." She grinned under her mask.

Through the coms, Nick Fury's voice echoed, "I need someone in the detention section! Loki is escaping." Hearing this Nova decided to step up.

"Tony! I should go help them! You'll be fine on your own right?" She said through her suit.

"Yeah kid, But be careful."

"You trust me?" She asked.

"I trust you."

She looked at Cap and revealed her face through the helmet. "You got this, Cap?"

"I could do this all day." He said and smirked.