Chapter 33: Heroes

A month later, Nova was suited up, standing outside The new Avengers facility in upstate New York. She breathed in the fresh air. It was a sunny day, the last time she was with the avengers everything was dark and dreary, this time it was peaceful.

"It's good?" Nova turned around, her gaze met with Steve's dazzling eyes.

"It's perfect. Everything I could have hoped for really." She smiled. Steve stood next to her.

"Feels like home doesn't it?" He asked.

"My home's always gonna be where the avengers are." She turned to him.

They gazed at each other with smiles plastered on their faces. Steve cautiously moved his face forward. Nova did too. Their lips finally met in a gentle kiss. Steve wrapped his arms around Nova, as she ran her hands through his hair. It had started out as a soft kiss, till they realised how much they longed for it.

They separated to catch their breath, their foreheads touching, "This feels wrong, Steve." Nova whispered.

"This is the most right anything has felt in a long time." Steve said out of breath as he went for another kiss. But Nova pulled apart, leaving Steve confused.

"This is just gonna complicate things. I don't think I can do this." she spoke solemnly. "I'm sorry." Nova looked down at the ground.

Steve's lips curled up into a smile as he pulled in Nova for a hug. "It's fine, I understand." He said. He then tightened the hug, lifting her off the ground.

"Hey, hey, we're not all super soldiers you know." She said with her face buried in Steve's neck. They pulled apart, "Hey, can you maybe not tell my dad about this?"

"Speak of the devil." Steve said as he nodded his head, his gaze settled behind Nova. She turned around to see her Dad arriving on one of his sports cars.

Tony parked the car and walked out of it. "I'm sorry, were you just canoodling my daughter?" He asked bluntly.

"Gross, dad, don't say canoodling!"

~

Tony, Nova, Thor and Steve were walking down the hallways of the facility, discussing Mjölnir, "The rules have changed." Steve said.

"We're dealing with something new." Tony added.

"Well, the Vision's artificial intelligence." Steve said. "So, it doesn't count."

"No. It's not like a person lifting the hammer. It's the same as Nova being able to levitate the hammer using telekinesis but not being able to actually lift it, cause she's not worthy!" Tony teased.

Nova pretended to be offended, "Hey! At least I can make it move somehow."

"Yeah but you can't spin it, how are you gonna spin it with your powers?" Steve commented.

"But if you put the hammer in an elevator..." Steve wondered.

"It would still go up." Tony said.

"Elevator's not worthy." Steve said.

"Should we put it to the test?" Nova suggested.

"No, repairs will take months, not everyone can fly to the second floor." Steve teased Nova.

"So you're really taking a break, huh?" Nova asked Tony.

"Yup. What about you? You're moving here?" Tony asked.

Nova turned to face Tony, "I guess I'll have to, wouldn't I? With the training, I can't go back and forth. Plus, I don't have a lot in the city, anyway." She explained.

"Yeah and Romanoff and I need you to help shape these into a team." Steve added.

"Well, I hope you like your room," Tony said, "It's bigger than everyone else's." He whispered. Nova smiled.

"I'm going to miss these little talks of ours." Thor spoke.

"Well, not if you don't leave." Tony said.

"I have no choice. The Mind Stone is the fourth of the Infinity Stones to show up in the last few years. That's not a coincidence. Someone has been playing an intricate game and has made pawns of us. But once all these pieces are in position..."  Thor said as they all walked out of the facility.

"You think you can find out what's coming?" Steve asked.

"I do. Besides this one," He pointed to Tony, "there's nothing that can't be explained."

"Well I'll miss you, and remember, you still owe me a tour of asgard." Nova said as she hugged Thor.

"I don't remember promising that, Little Stark." He said confused.

"Oh, um, no you did, you're just forgetting it." Nova said sarcastically.

Thor separated from the hug, nodded at the three, smiling. He summoned the Bifrost and disappeared back to Asgard.

"That man has no regard for lawn maintenance." Tony said, he began to walk to his car. "I'm gonna miss him though. And you two are gonna miss me. There's gonna be a lot of manful tears." He said.

"We will miss you, Tony" Steve said.

"You'll still visit right, especially when I throw parties." Nova remarked, teasing Steve.

"You will not be throwing parties." Steve said firmly.

"She's a Stark. She's gonna throw parties." Tony said from the drivers seat.

"Hey, you mind giving me a ride back into the city, I have to move my stuff here." Nova asked.

"Hop in." Tony said smiling.

Nova turned around to face Steve. "I'll see you in the evening." she smiled.

"I will be waiting." Steve said sweetly. Nova got into the car and they both drove off. Steve stood there till they were out of sight.

PLAY: HEROES - DAVID BOWIE

Nova sat in the passenger seat, she turned to Tony passing him a smile. It was mutual. They knew what the smile meant. It meant peace, it meant victory, it was happiness. She gazed out the window and took a deep breath, taking in everything. It was quiet. She wanted to remember the quiet, because she knew it wouldn't last. But that thought didn't stop her from appreciating the peace she had right now. She looked forward to all of it, the training, the missions, mostly spending time with the avengers. Everything was perfect. She was finally where she belonged, with her family.