Chapter 29: Monster

She tried again to regain flight, but could only go a few inches in the air before falling back on her feet. "Come on! Come on!" She hollered in frustration.

"Nova! Could use a little help here!" Steve cried out through the coms.

"Yeah! I'm just there!" She lied. "There's just—an issue."

"Don't worry! I'm on my way!" Nat said through the coms. Nova sighed, feeling a little less rushed.

Her flight wasn't working, she had to get to Steve somehow, so she ran as fast as she could, which really wasn't that fast. She wasn't used to it. "Come on, Nova!" She said to herself. In between, she tried to regain flight, but kept failing.

It was useless, the truck was out of her sight, she was never going to get to Steve in time. She stopped in her tracks, and caught her breath. "Come on!" To fix a problem you need to first be aware of what caused it, Nova thought. She recalled what Ultron said. It wasn't a coincidence that her powers stopped working right after he said it.

She couldn't think of a solution to it. Thinking about her problems and feelings wasn't her strongest suit, she preferred to ignore them and distract herself. Instead she slapped herself, "COME ON!"

She tried to fly, and though it was a bit dodgy, she was able to maintain balance. She swiftly soared through the air. But the truck was no where to be found, "Steve! Where are you?" She spoke through her coms.

"Look for the nearest rogue train!" He informed, his voice was distraught.

Nova scanned the area up from up in the sky, she spotted a raging train about to crash into a dead-end. "Got it!"

She flew towards it, entering it through one of the broken holes, she looked around at the helpless citizens in it, the train headed off track, onto a pedestrian area, causing a rumble. "What took you so long?" Steve asked frustrated.

"There was a—" the train shook before she could finish her sentence.

"Civilians in our path." Steve commanded someone behind Nova.

Nova looked back, to see a silver blur exit the train, and Wanda. "I see you finally took up my offer." Nova said, not gaining a reply.

"You both, can you stop this train?" Steve asked.

"Watch us." Nova looked at Wanda and gave her an assuring nod. They both combined their powers and strength to stop the train, without Wanda it would've required a lot of power. Pietro cleared out citizens from the path.

Eventually the train came to a slow halt, the passengers headed out. Wanda went out to an out of breath Pietro. Steve and Nova walked up to them, "The cradle, did you get it?" Wanda asked.

"Stark took care of it." Steve informed.

Wanda flashed a look of slight fear and regret, "No he won't." She said. Nova frowned heavily at Wanda's response, which Wanda noticed.

"You don't know what you're talking about, Stark's not crazy." Steve said.

"He will do anything to make things right." Wanda said helplessly. For a long moment Steve hesitated, Nova looked at him frowning, she couldn't believe he was almost falling for Wanda's word. But he broke out of it, "Stark, come in. Stark. Anyone on comms?"

"Ultron can't tell the difference between saving the world and destroying it. Where do you think he gets that?" Wanda said.

Nova had had it, "Hey! You cannot compare my father to that monster!"

"Your dad's no less of a monster." Wanda commented.

Nova was enraged, her eyes turned blue, she gritted her teeth. Tony treated her so well, it was rare for anyone to do that for her, She couldn't stand anyone insulting him. Steve noticed Nova's anger and held her by her arm softly, pulling her aside.

"They're wrong about him," She complained to Steve.

"I hope they are." He murmured.