Chapter 23: Ultron

Later, as the party wound down, the Avengers gathered around a coffee table, sipping beer. Clint teased Thor about his hammer, prompting Thor to challenge him to pick it up. Clint, brimming with confidence, approached the hammer but failed miserably. One by one, they all tried, with no success. Steve managed to budge it slightly, surprising Thor, but couldn't lift it entirely.

"Nova! Your turn!" Tony exclaimed.

"I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do it," Nova laughed.

"Try!" Steve urged eagerly.

Nova stood before the hammer, but instead of attempting to lift it, she employed her powers. Her eyes glowed blue as mist surrounded her and the hammer.

"Oh, show off!" Clint muttered bitterly.

The hammer began to rise, wiping the smiles off everyone's faces. Confusion painted Nova's expression as she halted her powers. Thor, bewildered, rose from his seat, while Nova looked a bit terrified.

"How did you do that?" Thor almost shouted.

"I don't know!" Nova shouted back.

"Well, this just got interesting," Tony remarked.

Nova tried to lift the hammer but couldn't. "I can't pick it up!"

"So, technically, your powers are worthy, not you?" Bruce interjected.

"Gee, thanks, Bruce."

"Oh well, you still technically cannot pick it up!" Thor proclaimed proudly as he lifted the hammer. "You're all not worthy," he added, though some disagreed.

Suddenly, a piercing screech filled the room, causing everyone to cover their ears. As it faded, Tony pulled out his device, revealing a damaged Iron Legion suit housing Ultron's consciousness stumbling into the room.

"Worthy... No, how could you be worthy? You're all killers," the horrifying voice emanated from the suit.

Tony tapped his device, calling out to Jarvis. "Reboot, Legionnaire OS, we got a buggy suit."

"There was a terrible noise... and I was tangled in... in... strings. I had to kill the other guy. He was a good guy," the suit confessed.

The Avengers exchanged cautious glances. "You killed someone?" Steve inquired.

"Wouldn't have been my first call. But, down in the real world, we're faced with ugly choices," the robot replied.

"Who sent you?" Thor demanded.

The suit played a recording, Tony's voice echoing, 'I see a suit of armor around the world.'

Nova looked at Tony alarmed. "Ultron," Bruce muttered to himself, realization dawning.

"In the flesh. Or, no, not yet. Not this... chrysalis. But I'm ready. I'm on a mission," Ultron declared.

"What mission?" Nat asked.

"Peace in our time," Ultron replied. Suddenly, the walls exploded, and several Iron Legion bots stormed in, attacking the team. Rhodey was knocked through a window.

"Rhodey!" Nova shouted as she flew after him, helping him up. She then soared towards one of the iron legion bots, gripping it by the neck and using her force to disable its main core, sending it crashing to the ground.

She spotted her dad struggling with one of the bots and rushed to his aid, hurling the bot into a sharp edge of a broken table, dismantling it. Tony nodded at her. Cap threw his shield at one of the remaining bots.

"That was dramatic," Ultron remarked, as it crookedly walked. "I'm sorry, I know you mean well," it continued, "You just didn't think it through. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. How is humanity saved if it's not allowed to... evolve?" It picked up one of the destroyed bots. "With these? These puppets?" It crushed the bot. "There's only one path to peace: The Avengers' extinction."