Surprise

Candice’s POV
The doctors were gone for about 10 minutes, and we were about to let our parents meet their grandson when all of a sudden, I felt my contractions start up again. C: “oww” G: “what is it” C: “I’m having a contraction” G: “I thought that they stopped after you delivered the placenta” C: “they did for a while but 5 minutes ago they started again. At first, I thought nothing of it, but this last one was really painful” G: “well maybe we should call Dr. Sherri back in here” C: “mhhhhm” Grant pushes the call button, and about 5 minutes later, our doctors walk back in, and by then, I am in serious pain. DS: “what seems to be the problem” C: “f- for about the past 10 m- minutes I’ve been having really bad contractions” DS: “well that’s not right, how about I take a look and see what’s going on” C: “ok” Grant is now standing next to me holding my hand while still holding our son.

Dr. Sherri lifts up my blanket to examine me and all I see is her eyes widened, and then she calls the nurses over and whispers something in their ears and they all start to move around with a purpose. C: “w- what’s wrong” DS: “um... I don’t know how to say this, but... you're in labor again” G: “what do you mean she’s in labor again! we already have our son” DS: “well, yes, but there’s another baby that is coming out right now” G: “what did you say!” DS: “you’re having twins” Both me and Grant’s eyes go wide in shock. C: “holy fuck” G: “shit we didn’t prepare for this” C: “no one told us we were having twins” DS: “I’m so sorry, it’s really rare for us to miss another baby, but in very rare cases the babies heart beats are synced, one baby is hidden right behind the front baby and can’t be seen by the machine” C: “wow that’s fucking crazy” DS: “I know, the other nurses are bringing in the stuff I need to deliver the baby and another little cart for the baby” C: “ok” G: “I guess we won’t have to return those duplicates after all” C: “yep” Grant grabs my hand as he sees that I just had another contraction, and we both mentally prepare ourselves for the fact that we will now be taking two babies home.

The nurses come back in, and we start this process all over again. DS: “ok this is just like the first time we did this, ok” C: “ok” DS: “ok here comes this first one, push” I push really hard. DS: “alright here we go again push” C: “ahhhhhhhhh” I feel really bad for how hard I am squeezing G’s hand but this is the worst pain I’ve ever been in, he is taking it like a champ though. I guess it was a good thing I didn’t get an epidural, even though in this moment I want one so badly G: “good job baby, you are doing amazing” DS: “ok here is the next one, and push” C: “ahhhhhhhhh” DS: “good Candice, 4, 3, 2 ,1 and relax” I relax my head back on the bed trying to breath before my next contraction. G: “good job baby, you can do this, again” At this point, I am exhausted and ready for it to be over. DS: “Ok Candice I need you to give me one last push ok” C: “ok” DS: “alright here we go give me all you got, ready push” C: “ahhhhhhhhhh” I finally felt relief and lay back. As soon as we heard that beautiful sound again, we forgot that we were just told we were having another baby.There were so many emotions to process, and both me and G started to cry again. We are really parents to 2 babies. Baby: “wahhhhhhh” NE: “time of birth 4:55 pm” DS: “happy birthday to you too little one… Say hello to your beautiful baby girl” G: “girl” DS: “yep” G: “baby we have a daughter” I nod in agreement with tears still flowing as he reaches down and hugs me before placing a quick but intimate kiss on my lips. Dr. Sherri then places our daughter on my chest, and the tears start to completely fall again, and we are smiling from ear to ear. G: “we have a daughter, we really have 2 kids” C: “I know. She's so beautiful and even smaller than her brother… hi baby girl I’m your mommy” I say while rubbing her back. G: “and I’m your daddy and this is your big brother” Grant kissed me, and for what felt like an hour even though it was just 5 minutes we admired our daughter the same way we did our son. G: “we really have 2 kids, what in the world” C: “I know right, like I really just pushed out 2 humans” G: “you are amazing” C: “I couldn't have done it without you” he kisses my hand. C: “well I guess it’s safe to say we both won the bet” we both laugh as we fail to wipe our tears away. G: “I guess we did” he gives me another kiss. DS: “well I guess you know the drill now, we are gonna deliver the placenta, Dad would you like to cut the cord again” G: “yeah” DS: ok we will then let you do that, then the nurses will clean your daughter up, you will do her first feeding and then dad can do skin to skin” C: “alright”

They deliver my placenta for the second time. Then, it was time for Grant to cut the cord. Grant tries to wipe his tears as they hand him the scissors, and his hands are just as shaky if not more shaky than the first time, but he pulled himself together and cut the cord They take our daughter, clean her up, weigh her, measure her, and put a hat on her with a bow. NL: Your daughter weighs 5 pounds 8 ounces and is 19 inches long” G: “yay she might get my height too” I rolled my eyes, and he chuckled. The nurses let me do my first feeding with our daughter before it was time for Grant to do skin to skin. NE: “ok dad, you can go ahead and sit in the reclining chair” G: “ok” G placed our son back on my chest, then went to sit back down. NL: “So since you know the drill, I’m gonna go ahead and put your daughter on your chest” G: “ok” G still had his shirt off so they just put our daughter on his chest and covered him with the blanket. While he was bonding with our daughter, the nurses gave me an in-depth lesson about breastfeeding and made sure our son was latched properly.

Now that we've figured everything out, our son is on my chest, and he has his legs scrunched up so that he’s in a ball, and all I can do is melt. I love them so much. DS: “We are gonna give you some time to bond with your babies. We will be back to check in, in about 30 minutes to take your son and daughter for testing. Nurse Liv will stay down here with you to make sure your daughter latches on just like your son, but if you need us also before that, just hit the call button, but hopefully you won’t have to because that should be the last surprise baby” me and G laugh. C&G: “thank you” DS: “your welcome” DR. Sherri leaves, and we just take in the fact that we are parents to 2 babies.

*****************************************
SUPRISE, it's twins, I tried to throw in little Easter eggs throughout the story, but I'm not sure if anyone caught them. I hope y'all liked the surprise, but anyways, bye loves. <3