63.

Aanya

Me? Singing?

I spluttered at the male sitting on the caf bench next to Talion. "No, no, I mean, I'm not any good at singing."

"But your voice is so soothing, you must be a singer, are you not?" The man's brow furrowed in confusion.

I shifted in my seat, a bit uncomfortable. I poked my now cold plate of food. "No, no I'm not, but I can sing something if you really want me to?" I offered, just to move on.

"Please!" he replied, practically begging with some good puppy dog eyes.

"Right, yes. Any song suggestions?" I asked, then paused. "Actually, I wouldn't know any of your songs. I'm from another planet."

"Yes, are you the human? From Earth?" he pronounced the words incorrectly, but he tried.

I nodded, yes.

"We got a memo about you. And the youngling on board as well." He looked around, as if expecting to see her.

"Yeah, Lani's asleep. Taking a nap. I could sing the lullaby that I sing to her?" I offered.

"What is a lullaby?" he asked slowly, pronouncing the new word.

"It's usually a quiet, gentle song that you sing to children, er younglings, to help them fall asleep."

"You'd make music to help someone fall asleep?" Talion asked, brows raised.

"Yes, you don't?" I didn't need a reply– his face told me that they didn't.

I cleared my throat. "Anyways, let me think of another song that I know. You guys wouldn't like a lullaby." I pursed my lips, thinking. Then, I snapped my fingers when an old song I used to sing in choir popped into my head. I could sing that without any background music. "I'll sing this song I know called Auld Lang Syne."

"Thank you," he said, almost reverently. The other male sitting across from him leaned in, listening too.

Since we were in a rather loud caf, I could sing kinda quietly without other people hearing, hopefully. Just singing for me, Talion, and these two males. I could totally do that. I'd pretend I was singing for Lani and Ronan.

I cleared my throat again, took a sip of water, and started.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot

And never brought to mind?

Should auld acquaintance be forgot

And the days of auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear

For auld lang syne

We'll drink a cup of kindness yet

For the sake of auld lang syne

I closed my eyes, swaying along with the song.

And surely you will buy your cup

And surely I'll buy mine!

We'll take a cup of kindness yet

For the sake of auld lang syne