Chapter 29

June 15th, 2006, Forks
_________________________________________

Today was the day, today the Cullen family, along with the wolves, would face off against the newborn army.

Edward, Jacob and Bella had gone up in the mountains the previous day. They would spend the night there as a precaution. The newborns wouldn't be able to follow them if they were already there.

Catherine and Jasper were getting ready to leave, it was still early in the morning, so it was still a little dark outside. Catherine's hands were shaking, she was anxious, scared that this would be the day they lost someone.

Catherine zipped up her jacket before turning jasper. He was buckling up his pants with his bare back turned to her. He seemed deep in thought. She approached him and placed a cold hand on his shoulder blade. His stiff shoulders immediately relaxed at her gentle touch.

Jasper turned around to face her and placed a hand on her cheek. Catherine felt a wave of calm overcome her as she placed her hand on his.

"Why are you worried?" Jasper softly asked, almost a whisper. Catherine sighed and intertwined their fingers. "I don't wanna lose any of you. Especially you." She kissed the palm of his hand before meeting his eyes again.

"You're not gonna lose me, or any of us for that matter. The newborns are completely outnumbered, with the wolves on our side it'll be extremely easy. We'll win as if it's nothing." He reassured as he kissed her forehead, his lips linering for a second.

"You're not allowed to die today." She warned as she sternly pointed at him. He smiled and nodded. "You have my word. And you're not allowed to die either." She giggled and placed a hand on the side of his neck. "You have my word." She repeated back to him.

Catherine smiled softly and leaned up to peck Jasper's lips. "You should put on a shirt. We gotta go." She broke out of his hold with a teasing smile. She went up to her vanity and picked up a hairtie. She put her hair up in a ponytail before turning back to a now fully clothed Jasper.

She held his arm as he led her downstairs, where their family was already waiting.
_________________________________________

Jasper was stood inbetween Catherine and Carlisle as the family waited for the army to appear. The wolves were hiding in the woods so they could take advantage of the element of surprise.

He took Catherine's hand and squeezed it. She looked over at him and they both nodded. Catherine's eyes scanned the field, she noticed the rock Jasper had forced her to sit on a mere few days ago. Suddenly the stench of the sea hit her.

"I smell them!" Catherine exclaimed as her eyes widened. The family turned to look at her before the smell hit their noses too. They got in a defensive position as they faced the opposite side of the field.

The newborns came running out of the woods. The vampires started running and met them halfway.

Jasper immediately punched the head of a male newborn, it flew off with a crack. Catherine punched one of the newborns before ripping it's head off. On the other side of the field, Emmett threw a newborn on the ground before ripping the head off another.

Then, the wolves joined the battle, the newborns were caught off guard. Some immediately got wounded or killed while others quickly adjusted and tried fighting the wolves. Catherine threw a newborn towards the wolf that was Leah, she bit it's head off before she kept running.

One of the newborns caught Catherine by surprise as it came up behind her and kicked her back. Catherine grunted at the impact before turning around to see a newborn woman. The newborn pounced at Catherine. She tried to get Catherine in a headlock, but she was stopped when Jasper came up behind her and ripped her arm off.