Chapter 34

August 15th, 2006, Cullen Residence
_________________________________________

Catherine slowly tiptoed into the living room, trying to be as quiet as she possibly could. Jasper was sitting on the couch. His nose was buried into one of his many books. His feet were propped up on the couch and his hand was buried in his own hair, supporting his head. Jasper's amber eyes slid over the pages at a rapid pace, completely absorbed by the book.

Catherine tried to approach Jasper as quietly as possible. She was going to try to scare him. As she reached her hands out to push away the hand that was supportig his head, she was surprised when his hand shot up at vampire speed and caught hers.

"Good afternoon, gorgeous, might I ask what you think you're doin'?" Jasper's velvety voice spoke in that beautiful southern accent of his, his eyes not leaving the book. Catherine sighed in defeat as she sat on the back of the couch next to him. "I was trying to scare you, but I guess that's impossible!" Catherine exclaimed with a groan as he looked up from his book.

"I very much agree with that statement, my love," Jasper brought her hand up to his lips and brushed his lips against her knuckles. Catherine playfully rolled her eyes, a smile appearing on her face. "In the 66 years I've known you, I've only scared you once!" Catherine rolled her eyes as she reached over the couch and grabbed Jasper's still open book.

"Hey!" Jasper exclaimed as he helplessly tried to snatch his book back. Catherine held it out of reach for him and looked up at the book. "What are you reading, sweetheart?" Catherine asked while reading the cover.

"Somethin' 'bout the Civil War," Jasper mumbled with an eyeroll. Catherine giggled and put the book down on the coffee table. She reached down and gently ran a soft hand through his hair.

Jasper relaxed, leaning into her touch as she softly massaged his head. His hand tugged on hers and he pulled her down onto the couch, sitting her ontop of him. She laughed in surprise at the sudden movement. She quickly recovered and made herself comfortable on his lap.

She wrapped her arms around his neck as she sat sideways on his lap. One of Jasper's hands found her waist as he steadied her on his lap. After that one hand went to rest on her thigh while the other was on her hip.

Catherine's slender, pale fingers gently played with the hairs on the back of Jasper's head. They stared into each other's eyes both with small smiles on their faces.

"I love you," he soundlessly mouthed towards her with a short jerk of his eyebrows. She grinned and giggled and nudged his nose with hers, "I love you more," she mouthed back with her forehead against his.

Jasper leaned up and caught her lips with his. Catherine's hands moved from Jasper's neck to cup his cheeks. She smiled against his lips as he tugged her closer to him. Jasper's
hands moved from her hip and thigh to her waist. He lifted her up so she wasn't sideways on his lap anymore. Instead she was now straddling him, both her legs on either side on his.

Catherine deepened the kiss, angling her head forwards. Jasper's hands moved upwards to her back and they harshly gripped her back, his knuckles turning even whiter than they already were.  He pulled her even closer to him, their bodies flush against each other. 

One of Catherine's hands moved from his cheek to his chin. She pulled his chin down so his mouth was open and slid her tongue in his mouth. Jasper groaned at her sudden dominance and Catherine could feel him growing underneath her.

"Not on the couch!!" Rosalie interrupted them with an eye roll as she passed through the living room to go outside. Catherine shot up at the sound of their scary sister's voice. Catherine sighed and rolled off Jasper and layed next to him on the couch.