Chapter 48

September 14th, 2006, Cullen Recidence
_________________________________________

"Jacob told Charlie, I assume?" Jasper softly asked, approaching Catherine from behind and placing his hands on her shoulders.

"Of course he did, always making sure everything goes his way," Catherine replied, folding her arms. She had been watching Edward and Bella arguing with Jacob when Jasper appeared behind her.

"The Volturi will kill us," Jasper sighed and wrapped an arm around Catherine's front before resting his chin on her shoulder.

"Well, Jacob didn't tell Charlie about the vampires. At least, it seems that way. He told him about the wolves so the love of his life doesn't get murdered on the spot," Catherine sighed as she reached her hand back to softly play with his hair, glancing over her shoulder to see Oliver and Alice playing with Renesmee.

"I solved a problem!" Jacob yelled at Edward and Bella from outside. Jasper and Catherine turned their heads back to the ex love-triangle to experience the drama together.

"You were leaving! What did you expect me to do!?" Jacob threw his arms in the air im esperation.

"I don't think you realize the danger you just put him in," Bella tried to get Jacob to reason.

"The Volturi will kill anyone who knows about us," she said, raising her voice slightly to get her point across better.

"No, but I didn't tell him about you. Just me," Jacob said, absently staring past Bella. Catherine followed his line of sight to see that he was staring through the living room window. Where Rosalie and Emmett were playing with Renesmee. Catherine scoffed and rolled her eyes at his (in her eyes) disgusting actions.

"I would never do anything to cause Nessie any harm," Jacob assured his ex... slash mother-in-law? It was all a little fucked up.

"I showed him that I turn into a wolf, but I didn't tell him about the vampires, just that you're also different," Jacob insisted, he finally turned back to Bella and Edward after noticing Catherine's ice-cold glare.

"And you told him that we have a niece... that we adopted," Edward rolled his eyes with a deep sigh, unable to believe Jacob's stupidity.

"I mean, seriously, Jake, he's not just gonna let that go," Bella said, an intense fear in her eyes.

"Did you even think to consider the psychical pain he'll put Bella through? It would be like sticking a white-hot, branding iron down her throat," Edward said, hoping that the thought of causing Bella pain would get Jacob to back off.

This is where Catherine decided to meddle. Oh, how she loved sticking her nose where it didn't belong!

"That's just assuming she can control her thirst. And what about the pain he'll put all of us through? I mean, we haven't been able to hunt for a while and were still getting used to not lashing out at the human scents. What if my husband lashes out and kills Charlie. What about Rose, or maybe Oliver? You're being extremely selfish, Jacob. The only one you're doing this for is yourself," Catherine lectured the wolf whilst approaching the trio. She had a stern expression on her face ass she folded her arms.

"Look, Charlie's been in hell. And I know you'll be much happier with him in your life," Jacob said, his tone getting softer as if he was trying to soothe them.

"Jacob, don't try to pretend you're doing this for anyone but yourself," Edward backed up Catherine's statement. She mentally high-fived her brother as a thanks, earning her an amused glance from her mind-reading brother.

"Sorry you feel that way... because he's gonna be here in ten minutes," Jacob then said, avoiding the vampire's esperated eyerolls.

"You must be joking," Catherine mumbled as she ran back into the house.