thirty seven

≪≪≪

König was here for four days, and four nights. He lingered, leaving occasionally, but would always come back at night. Usually around 10pm, and would meet me in the living room, or if i was already tired and in bed. We slept slotted next to each other, the action growing more comfortable each time. It was like the moment i crawled over to his chest he relaxed. Entire body putting but at ease when we were next to each other. I had quite fond of it too.

The second night he stayed, i couldn't sleep, so we stayed up. We chatted, my head still on his chest and his hand sometimes wandering to comb the ends of my hair. We spoke about a lot, but we focused on the time when we were apart. The week or two we didn't speak, and even the days before we had met. I told him about college, University, and all my plans that i had. I told him about how i wasn't sure of it anymore.

"Maybe i should go back home, and i don't even know what's left for me here."

I felt him tensed after i said that, his chest suddenly tight but he didn't let himself falter.

"Don't let the evil overcome your good." He had said. It struck me, he had never sounded so philosophical before.

He told me about he had done while we were apart though, mostly work- but he told me he missed me. I was a common thought to him but he just couldn't act on it. He stuttered as he tried explaining it, like the words were hard to work out.

"I-i knew you were somewhere like- like here- just not really- exactly- where."

I giggled at it, taking his stumbling as a form of shyness. But i couldn't be too sure.

He asked me about my life before i came to Germany, and i told him. I told him about home, my family, even some of my friends. I told him i missed them, and i even started bringing up what the police had told me. Go back home. I could, and probably would. My visa would expire soon, and i couldn't stay in this apartment forever.

I got quiet after that, and he didn't press it further. The idea of all of it was hard, and it pushed my mood to be suddenly sad. So i snuggled closer into him, and fell asleep soon after. When i woke up the next morning, i had caught him dozing off too. His eyes were closed and head tilted back comfortably into the pillow, the bottom of his mask tickling the skin of my forehead.

After that he started to sleep with me routinely, no longer staying up all night while i slept. I never knew how he had managed that, so i was glad he could finally just rest.

During those four days he also helped me around my apartment, like fixing the creaking legs of the kitchen table. I reminded him i didn't even own it, but he insisted on helping regardless. He'd grab my mail for me in the morning, telling me about my weird neighbors. All i could do was laugh, and try to brush it off. They seemed to be appearing more now König was around, almost watching from their doors. It gave me shivers, but i managed to brush it off.

Having König here made it feel more homey, like it wasn't an evil den for me to be banished in. I stopped drinking, partially to König berating me- but i stopped. I felt happier, and i felt better. I could finally begin think past a few hours in the future. I even started to put together a plan. I wasn't sure what my next steps were, but i had the energy to put in stones for that idea. To figure it out.

König said he had a few days off of work, those four he spent with me. So when they ended, he had to leave. I was sad, but he promised me he was coming back. Eventually. He wasn't leaving on a mission anytime soon, but he had to go be on base for some time.

"It'll be just a few days, they just need to see me stay around for a little."

I understood, and put on a smile when he finally wished me bye. It was early in the morning when he did, and he just barely woke me up. The sun wasn't up yet, and he had moved from under neath me in the bed, the sudden absence of warmth causing my eyes to slowly open.

"König?"

"Go back to sleep schatz."

I remember groggily shaking my head at him, and hearing him laugh in return. He fixed the blanket to cover me back up, warm once again. And when he moved from the bed and started to the door, i sat up the best i could and grabbed at his hand.

"Wait-"

I reached out to him, grabbing at the material of his shirt until he was close enough to me so i could throw my arms around him. I gave him a tired hug, really only reaching the lower half of his torso. I would pull away and look back up at him, yet another laugh coming from him as he bent down at the side of the bed. His eyes finally met mine, and he gave me a real hug, my head going to rest at his shoulder.

"I'll see you soon, liebling."

"I thought it was schatz."

I pulled away and looked at him again, eyes full of amusement.

"You're both."

König left after that, leaving me in bed, having managed to fall asleep on my own. I woke up again later in the morning to a text,

Don't miss me too much.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes at it, but managed to send him an equally cocky text. I got out of bed soon after, leaving to my routine to play out on my own.