one

Berlin. Germany.

Germany was known to be safe, at least safer than most places in the world. That's why i felt comfortable moving there, it was my first choice for college, and i was lucky enough to get in. It made me feel like i was safe enough to travel there alone, but i was incredibly wrong. I don't mean to put down the country as whole, it was full of wonderful people, but I should've known not to put all my trust into a reputation. Or else i wouldn't be as astronomically fucked as i was now.

I had moved to Berlin for college, deciding that going abroad was the most exciting option for myself. At first i wanted to just do one year abroad and come back to school at home, but i only had two years left in total so i made the move instead.

Berlin was exciting. An entirely new culture, and a whole new life to have. I couldn't have been happier moving here, despite knowing no one.

Actually, i knew two people. My roommate, who was a very eccentric girl and one of the only people that spoke english in entirely of the dormitory i was assigned too. And the tour guide. He wasn't an official one, but instead a guy assigned by the school to show me around. So i guess i wasn't completely alone, but my German wasn't the best yet and that caused a big issue for my social life. Most of the people that did speak english weren't in any of my classes, so i ended up spending most of my days alone.

I knew what i was getting into though, and it had only my been two weeks. I was still settling in, i hadn't even got all of my things unpacked. Me and my roommate aesthetics tended to clash, she was the kind of person to plaster metal posters on every inch of the wall. I didn't have a problem with it, i just wasn't sure about how well our room would end up blending together since i moved in.

She was wonderful though, very eager to be speaking english more routinely. I was worried i'd get up with an uptight and unfriendly roommate, but she was the opposite. It was like a breath of fresh air meeting her, i was welcomed immediately, comforted by the fact i had my first friend.

She was very active in the underground scene that Berlin had. It was iconic, and i had heard all about it. It was one of the things that had me excited to come here, i was desperate to have some fun since i was so stressed about the move, and the underground was the perfect place for it. So when my roommate offered my go, i couldn't resist.

It was a lot different than what i was used to, but i was excited. It was lively and full of the kind of commotion that incites sparks in your stomach. There was always music blasting, from stereos and even a few live bands that made me swear up and down it was my new favorite. We had gone to one of the most popular clubs, full of bright lights that cascaded over the bodies that seemed to fill the entirety of the club.

I thought this was one of the best nights since i had moved, maybe of my whole life so far, but i was incredibly wrong.

Infuriatingly wrong.

I don't even remember most of it. I black out after a while, a mix of one to many drinks and the energy that was bubbling inside me made me drone out all thoughts. One minute i was taking shots with my roomate while a very attractive bartender hit on me, and the next i was stumbling outside. I remember excusing myself, working through the crowd and then waking up outside.

I don't know how i ended up there. I was walking through cobbled roads, trying to backtrack to where i had exited but i couldn't.