Chapter 44: Avoid, Run & Hide

I thought that I'd been hurt before
But no one's ever left me quite this sore
Your words cut deeper than a knife
Now I need someone to breathe me back to life

Stitches - Shawn Mendes

Y/N's POV

June 21st, 2022

I was invited to the Cannes Lion Festival to present my movie along with Becky. Since this movie has been 100% produced by us and the sets as well as the special effects were physically crafted, only a little bit of them being computer magic, we were asked to present how and why we did it this way. What I didn't expect was to encounter Lizzie here as well.

We haven't talked since my breakdown the day of Chris's birthday party, and Lizzie hasn't reached out to me at all. Yes, I did tell her that we had to stay away from each other to move on and go our separate ways. I also told her everything that has happened between us is her fault, and part of me regretted telling her that but, she didn't try to correct me either.

Sadly, yesterday, when Becky and I arrived at our hotel in France, Robbie and Lizzie were there checking-in. When Lizzie saw me, she tried to come closer and say hi, but I quickly grabbed Becky's hand and walked us to another counter.

Then, when we went to the hotel's restaurant to have dinner, we encountered the happy couple, laughing and eating together. Becky and I ended up going to a McDonald's and just eating contently on the sidewalk.

To top it all off, this morning as we were registering for the festival's panels, Lizzie and Robbie arrived right after us. Lizzie said hi, Robbie sighed annoyed, I politely greeted back before telling Becky to not kill Lizzie. Thankfully, we were led to a private room to prepare before our presentation, and I got to avoid yet again talking to Lizzie more than a few words.

Becky has been an absolute trooper through all this drama. I couldn't ask for a better friend and business partner. And I'm starting to notice that this is really bugging Lizzie. Me spending a lot of time with Becky out of all people. She's a really nice person though, a true friend, and so creative. If you get to know her, you will think the same way as me. That's why I keep her around, and Lizzie doesn't like that at all.

After our presentation, Becky and I got to talk to a bunch of business executives from the film academies in Europe as well as local directors and writers. With one specific man, we ended up talking about doing a movie over here. We just talked loosely about making it happen, but I wasn't opposed to the idea.

Our presentation was around 10 AM and after talking business, we finished work around 1 PM. I was starving and Becky really wanted to check out a restaurant one of her friends had recommended before driving to the Eiffel Tower to do some tourism.

As we were exiting, I heard people screaming at the top of their lungs. I soon regretted searching for the cause of the people's screams because that's when I saw her.

 I soon regretted searching for the cause of the people's screams because that's when I saw her