Chapter 47: Happier Without Me

I hope you're happy
I wish you all the best, really
Say you love her, baby, just not like you loved me
And think of me fondly when your hands are on her
I hope you're happy, but don't be happier

happier - Olivia Rodrigo

Y/N's POV

August 6th, 2022

"Y/N, what are we doing here?"

"Relax Becky, this is just a nice picnic to show you how much I appreciate you as my friend and business partner. Besides, we deserve some free time away from all the lights and cameras to enjoy ourselves", I tell Becky while I finish setting up everything over the blanket I laid on the grass for the picnic.

"Okay, that's fine. But something still feels off. You haven't been this giddy in weeks. Do you have something you want to share with me?", Becky asks me with a raised eyebrow.

"Becky, there's nothing going on. Now, would you please sit down so we can start eating?", I beg to her desperately and she hesitantly sits on the ground next to me. "Thank you. Now, regarding your question, there are a couple of things I want to talk to you about"

"Why do I feel like you're about to drop a bomb on me? You have that mischievous grin on your face that you get whenever you have an idea. You're planning something", Becky comments suspicious before dramatically taking a bite out of her breakfast burrito.

"I'm not planning anything...not yet at least", I say, whispering the last part. It seemed Becky heard me and was expectantly waiting for me to elaborate. "But before I start to ramble about my life, I got you these", I tell her before getting a box of her favorite chocolates out of the picnic basket and handing it to her.

 "But before I start to ramble about my life, I got you these", I tell her before getting a box of her favorite chocolates out of the picnic basket and handing it to her

"Ok, now I know you're planning something, and this is a sign that you want me to join your plan. So, spill it, Girard. What did you do?", Becky tells me serious, seeing through my façade in a matter of seconds.

"Where do I start?"

"From the beginning", Becky says smugly, and I just give her an unimpressed look.

"Funny", I snap back at her, but she just continues to grin at me. "Well, you see, ever since Lizzie broke my heart, I haven't been myself. And I didn't want to admit it because I thought if I admitted it, I would seem weak. But you and Brie made me realize that that isn't true at all. Also, going to therapy has been of great help and I really appreciate you guys supporting me through it all", I tell her with my heart on my sleeve and she gives me a warm smile back.

"Y/N, you don't have to thank me. It's my pleasure to help you, you're my friend. You're also an amazing match maker, so I think that makes us even with doing favors for each other", Becky tells me, and I snap my head towards her.

"Oh, so just because I'm an amazing match maker, you keep me as your friend?", I inquire annoyed, and she doesn't hesitate to answer.

"Yeah. Why else would I keep you around?", she tells me in a monotone voice, and I just let out a dry chuckle.