Chapter 35. Speaking of the devil....

Terrified I was as Jane, Mary and I arrived at math class just in time. In their blissful ignorance, they were ignorant to the tapes ,and my heart's stammering, and in fear of what might come with Haiden in the same classroom, I attempted to procrastinate as much as was possible without their suspicion. Jane, to my luck, knew me too well to know I was a terrible actor, but she kept her lips sealed.... I envied their unconsciousness and was grateful some normality remained with us: their usual pressure to be on time, as they could not have any more tardies, and questioning to help them with their work. 

During the first few moments, the schedule went as I had believed: the usual gossips, and luckily no red alerts that warned me about what I feared, nor the chatting about such. Sir kept shushing the souls who remained talking and finally, the absolute silence when he roared in desperation and placed the powerpoint of the lesson.

But a part of my schedule missed: the part where Sir rearranged seats...and the demon glowed with indecency. Sir, in his hastiness, placed our arrangement based on what he called: the intellectual ability, which was truly another royal insult for naming us dumb dumbs.

I was partly confident about my location in the intelligence hierarchy: near the top, but I still could not wait to hesitate and bite my lip. I never attempted to be arrogant about my intelligence. I've always attempted to control my slithering, agile, tongue but it has been one of the few battles I have lost and are still trying for redemption: my mouth could almost always have enough arguments to argue my way out of stupidity.

Yet, because I smiled too much, my eagerness to help was easily mistaken by smug pomposity; and although I never liked maths, it was one of my character trades to help a soul who sinked into the despairs of agony each time they struggled...and each time they did, a simple solution always emerged: a smile.

But, as I smiled and blinked, my cloud of unstable serenity collapsed back down to earth and nervousness toured my body like a flash bolt.....stinging.

The sky that once glimmered brightly and the sun that gave warmth escaped from my view without warning and an abyss of anxiousness was bestowed above me. All  my hopes vanished like sand through my hands, all in the moment one of his hideous feet and wicked smiles entered the room. 

The devil had entered the room.

 His smile remained a prisoner to its dictatorship; and as he did not like me, it faded away in the glimpse he stared at my eyes in the same aggressiveness.

I, foolishly, attempted to take a breath, but oxygen is not easily obtained when deprivation and self preservation are struggling to keep your pouncing heart in normal levels: it pounded maniacally.

"Good that you join us Mr Debroch. May I ask why you are late?" Sir questioned, a tone both ruthless and sharp as his sarcastic words left his mouth. An attempt of exposure, surely.

"Yes sir." The beast roared, a brave yet slightly authoritarian resoundment to his words, an inch higher and Sir would be in a perilous threat to lose his job. My hands twisted with concern, once again, the ignited blood coursed freely, how is it that anyone can stand him and his dictatorship?

My look of surprise caught him off guard and for a second his features softened, his eyes not longer roared, his fists were no longer clenched, his eyes no longer darted suppressed agony and mischief; but the moment came as swiftly as he arrived and the cruelness emerged and as consequence, my pride maintained the fence.

My eyes continued to infuriate.

"I was at the secretariat's office, they had to arrange some of my documents. Then the coach demanded if I could help him set up some of the equipment for today's practice; so therefore I was only doing what an authority figure had asked me to. If you'd like I could ask coach if he'd like to corroborate the story; however, I am sorry for the delay." a grin slipped from his teeth.