Chapter 37. To whoever created detentions: lock yourself in one please.

Why had he taken me in?

Or had he even? Perhaps it was the positioning of the camera or a simple misunderstanding...but the thoughts only returned once again to the initial question that haunted my dreams and infuriated my nightmares: why was he in the woods?

For something most have forced him to take a stranger out of that fate: the wishes of the heart, human empathy and a concerned mind or even a divine force that curled our souls into one unbreakable string that tortured our hearts into encouragement...whatever the reason:

this was our fate...and there was no escape from it.  

"Come in" A growled teacher moaned those words, purple frowns covering their eyeball area and a hunched figure leaping, with exhaustion, into our figures. I silently obeyed, each time becoming a  closer resemblance into the vivid representation of anxiety. The more adrenaline that sped across my veins, the more I resembled a cartoon character. I entered. He waited.

Within those few moments: he and I never said a word.

His torment stood at the beck of the room, I, obeying my cowardice mistaken by neglect, chose the front....Yet, his eyes pierced mine like a laser: only pointing to one specific direction and burning the clothes off me. I looked away, attempting to ease the smokey air that clouded both of our sights.I knew there was no escape to such excruciation, I had to be brave enough to endure it for 3600 seconds.

The counting commenced: one, two, three, four....

"Hello" A voice, unsure of the cherishing effect it had on my eardrums, sang.

Confusion was not on my mind: I was simply too appalled, or ashamed, to turn around and see him without being interpreted as if I were desperate.

"Hi." I replied, my eyes glued to the wall.

His limbs avidly tilted the chair and mechanically sat in the one next to me without making a sound, he sat in the chair next to mine, assembled his hands in one string and shut them in place: robotically.

Silence muzzled us...again.

"Why did you do that?" I commenced, plucking the courage out of necessity: necessity to find answers my curious bravery would only obtain.

"What?" Hastily he answered, confusion in his lips and frown.

"Why did you sacrifice yourself? You didn't have to." I questioned him softly; as I did so, my reflex actions tweaked my mind. My hands, as mechanical as his movements, twitched and churned amongst each other: hoping tis would eventually be nothing more than a discomfortable memory.

"Sacrifice myself? Wow. You know it's only detention right?" His smile grew larger, my concern even more; despite my attempts of suppression, my tenseness rose up to my collarbones: pressing my veins savagely together.

"Of course I do. But sacrifice or not, you did not have to do it" I repeated, my mouth censoring more content by grinding my teeth with my lips in a foolish attempt to stay calm.

"If I don't, I don't know who will '' and like an iced dagger aiming, successfully, to my inner core his voice pierced my armour and the bleeding began.

"You don't think I can"

It wasn't a question.

It was an affirmation, he claimed what he so little knew of me....and yet, it was horribly true.

"If sweetness and kindness is what seems to define you," he commenced the scolding "then your sacrifices are in vain for no one seems to care. So no." Sadness climbed up to his lips, melting them in a burst of fire, forcing him to turn away from my darted chestnut eyes trying uselessly to pierce into his soul.