12 Don't Touch My Things!

I lay in bed with my cell phone upside down on my nightstand. The night breeze blew through the window into the bedroom and gently brushed my naked body. Frade's last gasp on the phone seemed to linger, but as the room cooled, his voice and face faded from my mind.

It's just me now.

It was the first night I spent alone since I was reborn. I was as empty as the ceiling above me. I can't sleep with my eyes open. There seemed to be a million things going on in my head, but when I tried to figure it out, it was as if nothing had happened.

Ron's not coming back to this bed tonight.

I tried to close my eyes, but as I was about to touch the darkness, my eyes jerked open again. The cold prison and the ugly face of the jailer are slowly becoming clear in my memory.

Hate cuts through my skin like a knife. I can clearly feel the pain!

Ron, Gina, my father. They are responsible for the death of me and my unborn child. Their names are on my death list, along with the unnamed witness. He or she made up the evidence that I framed Gina. Who was that witness, and why was he so convinced that Ron and my father chose me to die?

Too many questions waiting for me to find the answer!

But those who hurt me must die!

......

The alarm clock rang at seven in the morning. In the past, I would have gotten up at that time to make breakfast for Ron. But I don't want to do that today. It was not until eight o'clock that I slowly got out of bed, dressed, washed my face, and brushed my teeth. When I was done, I pushed the door open and went down the stairs.

In the dining room, Gina was standing barefoot at the table in a white shirt, eating a sandwich and whispering to Ron. They were talking about something, and both seemed to laugh at the same time.

I made a deliberate noise and headed for the restaurant.

When Ron saw me coming, he quickly lowered his head and pretended to read yesterday's financial newspaper. In front of him was a plate of fried eggs and a half-eaten sandwich and a cup of coffee. These are the breakfasts I used to make for him. Not only did Gina know his taste, but she was ready to be the new mistress of the house.

"Hi, good morning, honey!" Ron looked up. He had changed into a tracksuit with a sweat stain on his chest.

"I went for a run this morning, so I didn't wake you! I came back and found Gina making breakfast!"

I was disgusted by his deliberate explanation. Did he really take me for a fool?

"I made yours, too!" Gina pointed to a piece of dry bread on her plate with her chin. "You're welcome!"

I'm pretty sure that piece of dry bread has been sitting in the fridge for days. It was food I was going to throw in the trash or feed to a stray dog.

Gina pretended not to see my cold face. She used her fork to eat the eggs from Ron's plate. Ron's eyes were fixed on the newspaper and he didn't notice what she was doing.

With one hand, I tore off the dry bread into pieces and stared at the two people who had cheated on me last night. Seeing me silent, Ron coughed a little guiltily. Gina, however, continued to act recklessly. The shirt on her chest had been deliberately unbuttoned, and her n.ipples were barely visible behind the white shirt. I bet she doesn't even wear underwear between her smooth legs.

"That's my shirt, if I remember correctly!" I said, staring at Gina.

"I told you. I forgot my clothes!" Gina pouted, tilting her head. "Sorry!"

There was a brief silence, and the air seemed to freeze to ice. Gina doesn't realize I'm mad. The only man at the table seemed to sense something was wrong, and his head hung low as he frowned.

"Ladies, I think I need to take a shower first! It's Monday, and I have to go back to the office for a meeting later!" Ron put down the newspaper in his hand and looked at me first. "Do you need me to drive you to the office?"

"I can drive myself!" I said.

"Can someone give me a ride?" Gina looked at Ron and stuck out her tongue to lick the cheese at the corner of her mouth. Her flirtatious gesture made Ron's eyes sparkle.

"Do you want to ride with me?" he said bluntly.

"Of course, I do!" Gina's freckles flew to the corners of her eyes.

"Eva, I'll see you at the office later. I need you at the meeting today. It's about the merger case." He finally decided to let me join the case. Was it to make up for his guilt after the affair?

With a look of surprise on Gina's face, Ron hurried out of the dining room. By the time his footsteps faded away, the dry bread in front of me turned to crumbs.

"Next time, if you touch my things," I said, word by word, "I will cut off your fingers one by one with a knife!"

"Eva!" Gina's voice suddenly became shrill. "It's just a shirt! You're so mean!"

"Not just the clothes!" I threw the crumbs in front of Gina. "And don't give me the dog food!"

Gina was pale with anger, her scarlet nails clinging to the table. It was the first time I had said such harsh words to her, and she, who had been a spoiled brat for so long, did not know how to respond. But I don't have time to waste with her. I left her with a sneer and then picked up my bag and walked right out the door.

The moment I opened the door, fresh air came into my nose. Even though I didn't sleep all night, my body didn't feel tired. On the contrary, I feel refreshed.

I drove my old Ford car, turned the music up as loud as I could, and ignored the cursing coming from the passing cars. I also passed a few cars in front of me, and it felt like I was about to take off.

When a Ferrari passed me, I saw Gina in the passenger seat giving me the finger. Her red hair fluttered in the air, and her eyes were fierce.

When we were kids, Gina used to give me the finger every time she was ready to hit me. In fact, I have fought with her, but every time I resist her, she will run to our father to complain, and every time my father will unconditionally defend her. The person to be punished will be me.

I remember when my father brought Gina and her mother home, he said Gina was a year younger than me. It is this one-year gap that she has been able to rely on our father's special doting.

But I am not the same person as before. I will have a bottom line of patience, and will not let anyone hurt me.

Never!