24 Put The Knife Down!

The bodyguard standing outside the ward checked my handbag carefully. When he was sure everything was OK, one of the bodyguards motioned for me to come in. None of them noticed what I had hidden in my sleeve.

I went into the ward. Gina was sitting on a large hospital bed with her back against a pillow, dressed in light blue. There were many red roses in a glass jar beside her bed, but they didn't look so fresh anymore. The aroma of the roses overshadowed the smell of disinfectant.

Gina saw me. Her red lips curled upward into a victorious smile. She put the hand with the needle in it on her belly, as if she were hiding something precious under it.

"You don't look well, my sister!" She drawled. "Did father punish you again? You're a wretch!"

I walked up to her, my eyes fixed on her arrogant, smug face.

"Yes. My sister, as you wish. You're just like your w.hore mother."

My words made Gina even more arrogant. She caressed her flat belly in an exaggerated way that made it impossible for me to ignore her.

I stared at her belly and gave the surprised expression she expected. Gina lifted her chin proudly. Then, when she wasn't looking, I strode up to her and pressed the scalpel I had hidden in my sleeve against her neck. Her face stiffened.

"What are you doing?"

When she was about to scream, I made a silent gesture to her.

"Don't scream, if you don't want to die now!" I warned her. "Keep quiet!"

Gina was quiet for a moment. She stared at me with her brown eyes and put her hands over her belly. I was amused by her movements. Was she really worried about her child, or was she worried that if she lost her baby, she would have nothing?

"He is less than three months old, isn't he?" I glanced at her belly, the knife still in my hand against her neck, "Do you really care about him? Do you feel his call as night falls? Do you dream of growing up with him?"

Gina didn't answer my question right away. She looked at me in confusion, a look of fear in her eyes.

"Do you know what it's like to lose him?" I felt as if a ball of cotton was pressing down on my throat. "Tell me!"

"I don't know what you're talking about..." her voice trembled. "But if you hurt me, Ron and father will kill you! You have no idea how much this child means to Ron!"

I didn't pay attention to her, but was immersed in my memories. I'll never forget the humiliation she inflicted on me before I died. She made me miserable.

"Did you know that the Moore family has an underground prison? It's a hell for people who make mistakes or are traitors."

People who control money think they can control other people's lives!

My mind replayed the dampness and filth of the prison, and the prurient laughter of the jailer. The hate in me grew deeper.

"You want me to die and take my place, don't you?" I asked. "So you can take the Green name and be the only daughter our father ever had?"

Her facial muscles twitched. She didn't say anything, but I could tell what she was thinking.

"Oh, poor Gina!" I said, "You are such a fool! Even if I die, you will not be recognized by the family because you have the blood of a p.rostitute in your body. Have you forgotten that your mother was a stripper?"

Gina glared at me. She hated being reminded of her mother's past, because it was a disgrace to her, and to her mother.

I could kill her right now, if I was fast and hard enough. Gina's neck would shoot red blood like a severed hose. But the thought that if Gina died, the unborn child in her womb would die with her. I can't. I can't kill an unborn child. I can't!

"I wish I could kill you!" As I spoke to her, there was a whisper outside the door, as if someone was out there. Since my rebirth, my hearing has become so acute that I am like a rabbit on constant alert.

My eyes shifted to the door. Then Gina grabbed the scalpel from my hand when I wasn't looking. Almost as the door opened, I quickly knocked over the nightstand and backed up against the wall.

The cup on the nightstand fell to the ground and broke into pieces.

Ron pushed the door open and walked in, and I'm sure what he saw was Gina pointing a scalpel at me.

"Gina, what are you doing?" I pretended to panic. "You can't hurt the baby. Put the knife down!"

"You're the one who tried to kill me!" Gina snarled, pointing the scalpel at me. "Ron, get her, get her!"

"Ron, get the doctor!" I said to Ron, pretending to be pleading, "She's out of her mind. I don't know where she got the scalpel. She just tried to hurt your baby! She wanted to kill the child and frame me. Oh, poor baby. He shouldn't have to go through that."

"Ron, don't listen to her," Gina said, standing on the floor with her bare feet and the needle falling out of the back of her hand. She tried to throw herself at Ron, but I pulled him back so fast that the rose in his hand fell to the ground.

I'm standing between Gina and Ron. My back was to Ron. He couldn't see my face. I gave Gina a sneer and gave her the finger.

Go crazy, b.itch!

At the same time, I said in a supplicating voice, "Oh, Gina. I know you're mad at me, but the baby is innocent. How could you hurt the baby? It's Ron's first child. Oh, good girl. Put the knife down."

"You!" Gina flushed with anger.

I looked at her and said "F.uck you" with my lips, then I kicked the glass shards at her feet.

Angry Gina didn't see what I was doing. She came at me with a knife. But she had only taken her first step when she stepped on the broken glass. She lost her balance and fell to the ground. She hit her arm on a piece of glass and bled out.

"Security, call a doctor!" I shouted out the door. "Gina is crazy. Oh, God, this can't be happening!"

Ron was surprised, too. He tried to rush to Gina, but the scalpel in Gina's hand gave him pause. He took a step back and joined me in calling the bodyguard.

The bodyguards rushed in.

"Ron, you can't leave me!" Gina said, as a bodyguard grabbed her hands and dropped the scalpel. She screamed, "Eva, you son of a b.itch!"

As the doctors and nurses rushed into the room, I grabbed Ron's hand and led him out. The door was closed, but we could still hear Gina screaming like crazy.

I knew her mother's past was her weakness, but I didn't expect her to react so strongly. Although it was a bit risky, it was just as I expected.

As soon as the doctors and nurses came out of the room, the male doctor informed Ron that Gina was in a stable condition. I think he gave her a sedative or something, otherwise she wouldn't be quiet.

"Eva, can you tell me what this is all about?" Ron looked at me with a complicated look of suspicion in his eyes. I know what he's worried about, but from what he just saw, I know I'm in charge.

"I think we should go out somewhere and have a cup of coffee, and we can sit down and talk," I whispered as I took his hand. "I know everything, Ron, about Gina and the baby!"

There was a look of surprise in Ron's eyes, but he didn't show any remorse for me finding out about his affair with Gina. Men are like that. Even when wives expose their faults to their faces, they do not feel remorse.

I tried to keep a smile on my face and said, "My father asked me to take care of Gina, and he has plans for this child."

Then I put my arm around him and headed for the elevator. The hallway behind me was quiet, and I assumed Gina would be asleep for a long time.