14 Let Eva Speak Her Mind

"I'm sitting right here!" I walked to the end of the table and sat down across from the boss's chair.

"I don't think you heard me!" Gina stood up, her hands on the conference table, and she said each word with an accent, "To your place! Now!"

I leaned back and looked at her coldly. The atmosphere in the conference room was now at its worst, and everyone seemed to be holding their breath as they watched the war unfold.

Jenny looked down at the papers in front of her. She crossed her hands on the table and shrank her shoulders, afraid that if she moved, she would be drawn into our war.

Just then, the conference room door opened and Ron walked in with his laptop. First he scanned everyone, then he saw Gina standing. He seemed to sense that something was wrong.

"Meeting!" As the boss, he broke the deadlock with a simple order, which immediately brought relief to the nervous staff present.

Gina plopped back into her chair and glared at me with her big, exaggerated eyes. But there was all she could do, and she could only force herself to endure it until the secret was revealed.

There was something funny about her angry look. As the meeting began and the other staff members presented their views on the merger case, I suspect she didn't even understand the industry jargon. After all, she graduated from Modeling College, and my major in college was economics.

When the projector slides were replaced with the next one, Gina would refocus her gaze on me in her spare time, as if every time she glared at me it would sap my energy. Suddenly, her eyes rolled around in her eyes, as if planning something.

"So, do you have any other suggestions for the case?" Ron closed his computer and asked the group. "This case is very important. I want you all to share your thoughts!"

The clerks looked at each other and shook their heads. And Gina said something.

"I think we should let Eva speak her mind. After all, she hasn't said a word since the meeting began," Gina said in an emphatic tone, "She's the wife of the CEO, and even though she doesn't know anything about the company, she should be doing something for the company."

"Eva, you can say what you think," Ron said, looking at me expectantly. "Just like you said to me last night!"

"Come on, Eva! Don't be shy!" Gina arched her eyebrows and held her chin in one hand, staring at me like a hawk. If I'm not careful, she'll find a loophole in what I'm about to say and strike back hard. She'll even try to get Ron to kick me out.

I took a deep breath and mimicked Jenny's professional smile. "I don't think there's anything wrong with the plan -- all we need to do is execute the plan!"

Gina snorted. Ron ignored her and kept looking at me. I knew he was waiting for what I would say next. Not only he, but everyone else in this room is waiting for my next word. They all wanted to see what the long-lost wife of the president could do.

I have to give them something, or they'll talk about me in private, and they'll take Gina's side in the company. This is not good for my plan.

"Our real problem is how to make sure we can bid! That's the problem we need to solve right now!" I saw a nod of agreement, and then I said, "But don't worry, I made a deal with our competitors before I came. They decided not to pursue the bar fight, and they promised not to sue us at the Plutocrat Federation. This is good for us!"

"Really?" Ron asked cheerfully. "Did they really say yes?"

"Maybe the Logan family didn't promise you anything at all. I don't believe you," Gina said, always trying to get the ball rolling. "Logan doesn't settle easily, I know that!"

Ron thought about it and frowned. "Eva, how did you convince the Logan family in such a short time? Are you sure they're not lying to you?" He asked.

"Maybe you could call the head of the Logan family to confirm it yourself," I said confidently. "Do it now!"

Ron didn't hesitate. He just told the guy with the buzz cut to go outside and contact the Logan family. Soon the man came back, and he whispered in Ron's ear for a while, and then he handed the phone to Ron.

The phone was in Ron's ear for less than a minute. He didn't speak, just grunted and hung up.

"They agreed to a settlement, but we need to meet," Ron said. "I'll meet with the head of the Logan family in person tomorrow!"

Upon hearing this, Gina's face immediately changed, and she gave me an incredulous look. I responded with a sneer.

I saw the admiring glances of others in the room, and at that moment I knew that it would be easier for me to use them in the future.

"Well, the meeting is over!" Ron said cheerfully.

Everyone else walked out of the conference room. Ron and I were the only ones left, and Gina stormed out first.

I saw Ron stand up. He closed the door and curtains of the conference room. I knew he was waiting for me. But now I'm a little tired of being in the same room with him. The air is so stuffy and it makes me sick to my stomach.

"Eva, darling," Ron said as he put his arm around my waist, "I can't believe you did it!"

"Ron, it's no big deal!" I explained patiently, "I just used my father's connections to get a middleman to help, but don't get too excited. Tomorrow you'll have to talk to the Logan family in person, and whatever he asks, you'll do it for the sake of the merger case!"

"Eva, I know you've always been there for me, and I've ignored you," Ron said, using the same sweet words he'd used in my previous life.

"When this merger case is over, I'll make it up to you!" Ron tried to kiss me on the mouth, but I blocked it with my hand.

"This is a place of work, and we'd better be professional!" I said. "By the way, can I have my own office?"

As I spoke, I pointed to the folding chair leaning against the trash can. "I don't want to be benched because I don't have a specific position!"

"Of course you deserve your office!" Ron understood immediately, but he wasn't going to ask what had just happened between Gina and me.

"I'll have my secretary set you up in an office right now!"

Ron's phone rang, and I thanked him for letting me leave the office. I closed the door and heard Ron's impatient voice as he answered the phone.

"Enough, stop it!"

I guess that it was Gina calling Ron. She was always worried that someone would steal her favorite toy, even if it didn't belong to her.

Soon, an HR assistant named Ruby took me to my office. I just took a look outside the door and asked her to show me around the company. I needed to know who was working in the core department.

I was walking by the finance office when Jenny looked up and saw me standing outside. She came out at once with a document in her hand.

"Ruby, let me introduce the company to Mrs. Moore!" Jenny said enthusiastically to Ruby.

"That's okay, Jenny and I are old friends," I said to Ruby with a smile. "You can go back to your work!"

After Ruby turned and left, Jenny took my arm and whispered, "There's something I think you should know!"