174 I Hate You

Mickle picked up the phone on his desk and dialled a number. Then he just said a word to the other end.

"Let her in!"

What he said was "Her" instead of "Daughter" or 'Lady'. Maybe, in Mickle's eyes, we were just women plotting against him.

The door opened and I heard the soft sound of high heels on the carpet. As Mia's aggressive perfume drew closer, I got up from the couch.

When Mia saw me, she tried to pretend to give me a hug with a smile on her face. I slapped her in the face.

"What the hell are you doing?" Mia yelled at me, clutching her face.

"As your older sister, I think it's my duty to educate you." I gently shook my hands, which were trembling with pain, "Remember, never do anything that insults our mother. Or I will tear you up like those pieces of paper and throw you on the ground."

Mia looked at Mickle in shock, but he pretended to be helpless and slightly shrugged his shoulders, "I told you, this won't work!"

"How dare you forge our mother's letters." I glared at Mia. "You're disguising our mother as a lowly, shameless woman. Do you really think I'd believe that crap? You're defiling our mother."

"Mia, I think you should apologize to your sister." Mickle offered to help Mia out. "She seems to know your mother better than you do."

Despite her reluctance, Mia whispered to me, "I'm sorry, Eva."

"You'd better be sincere," I warned her. "Stop consuming my patience with you!"

"All right, girls!" Mickle raised her voice. "Let's sit down and talk about our goals, honestly."

Sincere? Everyone has a purpose at this table. Everyone wears a mask of hypocrisy.

"Who wants to go first?" Mickle glanced between Mia and me.

"Eva, you're the sister. You go first."

"Shouldn't you go first?" I said sarcastically. "Given that you're our biological father, I'm sure you have a lot to say to us, don't you?"

Mickle squinted at me a few seconds later and said, "Do you know that the moment I looked at you just now, I saw the person I used to be? When I first entered West Point, I spoke to my instructor in the same tone as you just now."

"Stop telling me stories," I said. "I'm not interested in hearing about your past."

In this triangle race, there will always be one side who wants the other side's support. Unfortunately, he couldn't win me over. Mia, on the other hand, will always be on her side.

"I did some background checks on you and your sister," Mickle said, "I know about your past and I feel sorry for you, but that's not caused by me alone. I will only explain to you once about your mother. I did love her, but her death can't be all on me. It was complicated. I hope you all forgive it."

He left my mother's death in an accident. I sneer at myself. Please continue with your performance, Father.

"As you all know, I'm running for president," Mickle said, "The next six months are a very special time for me, and I've been preparing for it for years. Perhaps you do not know, this is not only my personal matter, and the interests of all walks of life are closely linked. I don't want to hide it from you, but if I don't get elected, or if something happens, that makes me not elected. Even if I don't kill you, others will kill you for me. I will be in trouble too."

I listened to every word Mickle said, and although I had never been in contact with any political force before, I knew very well that no one could run for president without a strong background.

There are a lot of secrets in Mickle's words. Political power, business decisions, and even international relations. The president's decisions are set in advance.

In other words, these are pre-negotiated chips.

God, that's when I really realized how dangerous my decision was.

"My political background has been called the cleanest in history," scoffs Mickle, "But your presence makes the public think I'm a tainted person. I'm well aware that you're only doing this to get something out of me. Tell me, what do you want?"

"I just want to be your daughter." Mia couldn't wait to make her request, "Publicly."

"Is that all?" Mickle looked at Mia critically.

"If you feel guilty about our mother's death, I want you to give me a sum of money as compensation," Mia continued. "As for the suffering I've endured over the years, I want you to pay me $200 million."

"$200 million?" Mickle's eyes turned cold as she looked at Mia. "How dare you bid?"

"You just got my mother's inheritance," I whispered to Mia. "Don't be greedy."

"That's nothing to him." Mia crossed one leg over the other. "His wife is the only daughter of media mogul Samuel Wharton. She has more money than we thought."

"It's my wife's money, not mine." Mickle's tone was icy.

"Don't give me that shit." Mia looked down at her fine nails. "All the money you spent running for president came from the Wharton family, and I've done my homework."

"What if I don't do what you want?"

"Then let's go to Hell together." Mia gave a nervous laugh, "But you'll be the first to die, Father!"

Mickle's face darkened. After a minute of silence, he said, "I can give you the first request. As for the second, I'll let my consultant answer it for you."

"Deal!" Mia readily agreed.

"What about you?" Mickle looks at me. "What do you want?"

"I want to burn your body and spread it next to my mother's grave as fertilizer," I said coldly.

"I'm afraid I can't promise you that," Mickle said. "Never. I suggest you ask for something real."

"I only have one request, as I have just said."

Mickle shook his head in disappointment, "I don't want you to go to jail again unless you have to. You know very well what your husband Daley has done. He escaped, but I have a way to pin those crimes on you. I think you're a smart kid. Think about it."

He's threatening me. That's the real Mickle. I subconsciously put my hand on my belly. What should I do?