65 Regret Sleeping with Me?

Daley was silent the whole way home, and we sat in the car at arm's length. The driver was the same one in the baseball cap. He glanced at us through the rearview mirror and gave us an inscrutable smile.

Maybe even the driver guessed my relationship with Daley. He or Rita must have called Daley, and it's a good thing Daley saved me from that Monster Spencer. Unfortunately, I was back on Pudding Island. I can not escape from the haze of the island.

The entire exchange lasted less than five minutes. But the truth is that the scaredy-cat Spenser was scared out of his wits as soon as he heard Daley's name. He personally untied my hands and asked me not to tell Daley what he and the sailors had done to me.

"You didn't get hurt at all, did you?" Spencer begged me. "I was just trying to help you out. You've been in the cargo hold since you got on the ship. Nothing happened, and you haven't seen the rest of the crew."

I heard a strong desire to survive in his voice, and I could see that he was afraid of Daley. Before returning me to Daley, he fixed my clothes and hair to make me look as if I had never been assaulted.

Daley picked me up on his boat and took me back to the dock. When he got back to the house, he told me that he had Spenser's boat followed in secret. He planned to lay siege again when the ship reached the open sea. From his tone, it seemed that he did not intend to leave any survivors of the attack.

"You can tell me the truth now," said Daley, sitting on the couch with a glass of vodka in his hand.

"Were you sexually assaulted?"

"No." I sat in front of him and looked out of the house. The sky grew darker.

"You know I don't mind," he said.

"I said no," I looked back at him. "But that's what they're going to do."

"It looks like I made the right decision," Daley said. "Spencer's ship will never land."

He was pleased with his prediction, which surprised me a little. Did he already know everything that was going to happen?

"I saved you again," he said as he emptied his glass, "Why don't you ever listen to me? Do you think you can get away and get on Spencer's boat and go back to America? If I were you, I would never do something so stupid."

"It's no good staying here for me," I retorted. "You're no better than he is."

"You really think he's gonna send you to Miami?" Daley sneered, "Spencer is as notorious as the Karr brothers, but his main business is dealing drugs. He's not merciful. He'll hand you over to a drug dealer when he gets to Mexico City. He doesn't care how much it costs. Because, in his eyes, he could sell anyone but his mother. Let me guess what he said to you. I think he should first pretend to be kind to gain your trust, and then he will show his true colors to you when the ship sails. Do you think I'm right?"

"You're very proud," I said sarcastically. "Then why did you save me?"

His face froze, and I saw the flash of anger in his eyes. But soon he returned to his usual calm tone. "Why didn't you say that to me when you were in the b.rothel? I gave you a chance to admit your mistake, but now it's gone. From now on, you will be grounded. You cannot go anywhere but this house."

"How could you do this to me?" I yelled at him. "You tricked me. You let me participate in your bloody ritual. You f.ucked me when I wasn't in my right mind. There's something wrong with the cigarettes you gave me!"

He raised an eyebrow, not angry at my accusation, but amused. He looked at me as if I were an unreasonable child, which made me feel very uncomfortable. He's trying to manipulate me by subliminal means.

"Do you think those cigarettes will make you lose your mind?" He sneered. "So, do you regret it? Do you regret sleeping with me? Do you feel ashamed?"

"I regret taking part in your killing game," I blurted out.

"So you don't regret sleeping with me?" He looked at me with amusement. "Eva, did you fall in love with me so quickly?"

"No, I'm not in love with you," I denied hastily.

There's no way I'm falling in love with this lunatic. I had decided to forget him after I learned that he had fooled me with o.pium. I know I have to go back to where I belong. I know my purpose of rebirth.

"Why do you have a death list?" He asked. "Who exactly is on your death list? What have they done to you? Who do you hate the most?"

"Enough, stop." I was driven crazy by him. Why did he always want to dig up the secret of my heart? He seemed to have a scalpel in his hand and was about to peel away layers of my skin and rip out my heart to see what was in it.

I hate the feeling of being looked into.

"Poor Eva, you have never looked into your heart," he said in a tone of believer, "No matter how much resentment you have in your heart, you have to face it. You have to find a way to really calm your mind."

"How? By ripping someone's heart out like you did?" I smiled wryly. "If you really want to help me, you should let me go."

"You need to rest." He stood up and looked out of the room. "It's raining cats and dogs. No one can go now."

Another pointless argument, and I returned to my room exhausted. Then I locked myself in my room.

The storm rattled the windows. I let the rain fall on the floor of the room. The whole house seemed to shake when the thunder stopped on the roof. I wrapped the sheets around me and stared out the window at the overcast sky.

I began to whisper every name on my death list: Ron, Gina, my father, the damn general. I repeat their names over and over again, afraid that if I stay here too long I will slowly forget them.

I can't forget what I lost.

The white butterfly appeared again in my mind. I saw her dancing in the storm. She tried to fly across the endless sea by shaking her wings. But the merciless rain drenched her wings. She fell from a great height, just as she was about to be swallowed up by the sea.

A pair of hands caught her, before I could see who they belonged to. A silver light appeared before my eyes.

I woke up and saw Daley's masked face.

"Get up and go somewhere with me," he whispered.