Chapter Forty-Seven

(I only have me.)

●Eve●

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting the forest into deep shadows, I knew I had to find a place to sleep. The temperature was dropping, and the forest would soon be dark. I moved cautiously, listening for any signs of danger, but all I heard were the gentle whispers of the wind and the occasional hoot of an owl. 

I stumbled upon a small clearing, its edges lined with tall, ancient trees. In the center was a large, flat rock, partially covered with moss. It wasn't the most comfortable bed but better than the cold ground. I gathered leaves and soft ferns to create a makeshift mattress, hoping it would provide some insulation against the chill. I curled up on the rock, removed my arms from the arm holes and placed them inside my shirt for warmth. 

The night was long and restless. 

Every rustle of the leaves, every snap of a twig, set my nerves on edge. But gradually, exhaustion took over, and I slipped into a fitful sleep. Dreams of the chase haunted me, mingling with memories of a time when I felt safe and loved. I awoke several times, each time reassuring myself that I was still free, still alive.

When dawn finally broke, the forest was bathed in a soft, golden light. Birds sang in the trees, welcoming the new day. I put my hands through the arm holes and stretched, my muscles sore and stiff from the hard bed, but a new determination filled me. I needed to find food, water, and hopefully, some form of civilization.

I followed a faint trail, my senses alert for any sign of danger. After an hour or so, I heard the unmistakable sound of running water. Pushing through the underbrush, I found a small stream, its clear waters sparkling in the morning light. I knelt and drank deeply, the cold water refreshing and invigorating. I also washed my face and hands, feeling somewhat rejuvenated. With my thirst quenched, I continued my journey, following the stream downstream. Streams often led to larger bodies of water, and where there was water, there were usually villages.

By mid-morning, the trees began to thin out, and I noticed signs of human activity. I heard faintly, the sound of distant voices. My heart leaped with hope and apprehension. I approached cautiously, making sure to stay hidden in the shadows. I emerged from the forest onto a dirt road. 

Ahead, nestled in a small valley, was a village. Smoke rose from chimneys, and I could see people moving about, starting their daily routines. The sight was both comforting and daunting. I was free, but I was also alone and vulnerable. I needed help, but I couldn't afford to trust just anyone.

"The Don's people would have came here already with my picture. What should I do?" I asked Subby.

"Sneak in, steal some food and money then go. Find a change of clothes, find something to conceal your identity" She responded.

"Okay." I responded.

Taking a deep breath, I straightened my shoulders and started down the road towards the village, my heart pounding with a mix of fear and determination. The dirt road felt rough under my feet, but I kept my focus on the small valley ahead.

"What if they recognize you?" Subby whispered in the back of my mind, her voice filled with worry.

"I'll be careful," I replied silently, keeping my eyes on the village. 

"I just need to find some food and clothes. I'll be in and out before anyone notices."

The village was a modest one, with small houses made of wood and stone. People moved about, engaged in their morning routines, seemingly oblivious to the danger I felt looming over me. I stayed in the shadows, slipping between buildings, keeping a low profile.

"There's a market over there," Subby noted. 

"You can blend in with the crowd and maybe snatch some food."

I nodded, heading towards the bustling market. Vendors were setting up their stalls, displaying fresh produce, bread, and other goods. My stomach growled, reminding me of my hunger. I waited for the right moment, then quickly grabbed a loaf of bread from an unattended stall, slipping it into my shirt.

"Well done Chomie, now find some clothes," Subby urged.

I spotted a line of washing hung out to dry behind a row of houses. Keeping a lookout, I sneaked over and grabbed a floral peach dress and a pale blue scarf. Luckily for me, the clothes must have been hung out yesterday because they were fully dry. They weren't the most fashionable items, but they would help me blend in and conceal my identity. I used the scarf to cover my hair and face, I wore it much like a hijab. I threw the t-shirt and jeans I was wearing into a barrel.

As I was about to leave, I heard footsteps approaching. Panicking, I ducked behind the barrel, clutching the loaf of bread.

"Who's there?" a deep voice called out.

I held my breath, trying to remain invisible.

"Come out," the voice commanded, closer now.

I knew I was caught. Slowly, I stood up, revealing myself to a tall, handsome man with piercing blue eyes. He looked at me with a mixture of curiosity and suspicion.

"Please, I..." I started, but he cut me off.

"You're not from around here," he said, his tone firm yet gentle and thick with a Mexican accent.

"I'm just passing through," I replied, trying to sound confident. 

"I needed food and clothes. I didn't mean any harm."

He studied me for a moment, then sighed. "Come with me."

I followed him, unsure of what to expect. He led me to a small, secluded barn at the edge of the village. Inside, it was dimly lit and smelled of hay. He closed the door behind us and turned to face me.

"Why are you running?" he asked, his eyes searching mine.

I hesitated, but something about him made me feel like I could trust him. 

"I'm running from the Don. His guards are after me. If they catch me, they'll..."

"You don't have to explain," he said softly, cutting me off. 

"I understand. Here, take this." He handed me a small pouch of coins. 

"It's not much, but it will help you get far away from here."

"Why are you helping me?" I asked, tears welling up in my eyes.

He smiled faintly. 

"Because I know what it's like to be hunted. And because everyone deserves a chance at freedom."

"Thank you," I whispered, overwhelmed by his kindness.

"Stay here tonight," he said. 

"You'll be safe in the barn. Tomorrow, I'll help you find a way out of the village without being seen."

I nodded, grateful for his help.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Lucas," he replied. 

"And you?"

"Call me Hope," I said, using a name I hadn't spoken in years.

"Rest now, Hope," Lucas said. 

"We'll figure things out in the morning."

As he left the barn, I sat down on a pile of hay, clutching the coins and the bread. For the first time in a long while, I felt a glimmer of hope. With Lucas's help, I had a chance to escape the Don's grasp and start anew. I settled down, exhaustion taking over, and soon drifted into a deep, dreamless sleep, ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead.

[AN]

Sooooooooooo yeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

Y'all were waiting for this one.
Let me know what y'all are thinking.

Give me a solid review yeah?