38

ROOSTER

ROOSTER

The contractions started in the car, I dropped Rima off to Jackie and by the time we got to the hospital. They were less than 2 minutes apart we got to the birthing room.

Once she was settled in bed, IV in place, and hooked up to the monitors. The nurse gave us the run-down on when the doctor would be called, how much notice they needed to get an epidural ready, and other odds and ends.

"When did your contractions start?" nurse asked

"In the car on the way here," she replied.

"And this is your first baby?" nurse asked

"Yes" She said

"Your contractions are coming pretty fast, I wasn't expecting that you'd deliver until sometime next week, but it might happen earlier. Let me know if you need anything." nurse says. When we were finally alone, I realized that she looked terrified.

"You OK?" I asked. "Can I help with something?"

"I'm scared," she whispered. "The contractions are starting to hurt. Here comes another one," I watched the contraction on the monitor while she started breathing deeply, in and out. After about an hour, she was struggling with the pain. After shift-change the nurse stopped by and smiled sympathetically.

"Just a couple more hours now, Hon," nurse said. Another contraction hit, and when she could finally speak.

"I don't think I can do this for a couple more hours. I think I need the epidural." she said

"I'll call for the epidural, then I'll come back and check you, OK?" nurse said Once she was back she needed to check her so soon as the nurse got her fingers up there, she chuckled. "Oh, Honey. It's too late for the epidural. You're nine centimeters. You're having this baby pretty soon. Focus, breathe. Don't push until the doctor gets here, OK? I'll be right back." the nurse left the room, I looked at Jada she was starting to moan loudly. When the next contraction hit, she actually yelled out loud.

"Babe. Just focus and breathe think of your peaceful place remember," I said, trying to stay calm. Just as the nurse and the doctor came in, another big contraction hit. In the middle of her shriek, Jada pushed me away from her I fell against the wall.

"FUCK YOUR FUCKING PEACEFUL PLACE! I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT ANY OF THAT FUCK YOU, YOU ASSHOLE!" she screamed at me. The nurse gave me a knowing smile.

"I bet you took childbirth classes from Susan McCarthy, didn't you." the nurse said. I stood there and move from the wall, to the corner. I tried to tell myself that the pain caused the words she was saying to me. But I was still hurt and frightened- very very fucking frightened so I stayed in the corner of the room, unable to leave her even when she yelled at me and pushed me away. The next 8 hours was a total blur but I remember two things very clearly. I remember hearing the doctor announce that it was a girl.