Ch 19 - 20

C19: This is What a Mohist Woman should Look Like

Mo Hanyue stared at Old Lady Mo with wide eyes, her face full of disbelief.

"Mother, where would I get any silver?"

"If there's no silver, then just eat whatever there is to eat."

Old Lady Mo was not unsympathetic to her daughter, it was just that when she left the Mo Residence, all the silver bills she had hidden on her were confiscated, and now she was also penniless.

Although the daughters-in-law had some silver, she as the elder could not bring herself to ask money from the younger generation.

"Mother, I have a little silver here, why don't I go and buy some white flour steamed buns from the yamen runners?"

Seeing the usually lively and cute little sister shedding tears for lack of food to eat, Third Sister-in-law felt somewhat distressed.

"Sister-in-law, don't worry, let's see what others are doing first."

This was He Zhiran's intention. All the silver in the national treasury was in her space, so of course she would not begrudge buying some white flour steamed buns for her family to eat.

It was just that they had only been exiled for one day so far, and she had not yet figured out the situation with the yamen runners and other exiles, so she did not want to reveal too much of her capabilities.

"He's right, let's observe first before deciding."
Old Lady Mo also agreed with He Zhiran's proposal.

All the Mo family listened obediently without taking any action, maintaining a wait-and-see attitude.

Speaking of which, the other four exiled families were really unlucky.

They had received the imperial edict to confiscate property and exile at almost the same time as the Mo family, with practically no warning at all. It could be said to be a passing whim of Emperor Shunwu.

Just because of this, these four families could be said to be penniless.

Escorting exiled convicts was usually a lucrative job.

They had always turned a blind eye to relatives who came to see the prisoners off, and were even happy to do so.

Only this way would the prisoners have some money on them.

If the prisoners had money, the yamen runners would profit.

But who knew, after shouting for a while that a steamed bun cost one or two silver coins, not a single person came forth with money to buy them.

In anger, the yamen runners reduced the quota of one free black flour steamed bun per person to half a bun per person.

The Mo family was fine, apart from Mo Jiuye they were all women, so their appetites were small to begin with.

The sisters-in-law were thinking that even if it was only half a steamed bun, as long as they didn't starve to death it was fine.

But when they got the buns in hand, their eyes popped.

Those black flour steamed buns were as hard as rocks, just biting down would probably chip your teeth...

"Mother, the buns are so hard I can't bite them," Mo Hanyue cried again.

"Yes Mother, if we have to rely on these kinds of buns for food throughout the journey, I'm afraid we won't die from hunger but from choking."

"Mother, I and Third Sister-in-law have some silver, why don't we just go buy some white flour steamed buns?"