Ch 73 - 74

C73: Distributing the Silver

Master Wuchen immediately told Concubine Yuan that she was pregnant with a little princess.

In order to maintain her position in the palace, Concubine Yuan planned to secretly switch her child if she gave birth to a daughter.

She secretly sent countless underlings to find and locate some women who were pregnant at the same time as her. As soon as someone's due date was close to hers, she would take that family's son and pass him off as her own.

On the day Concubine Yuan gave birth, she bribed the midwife and instructed her not to make any announcement after a successful delivery, but to wrap up the baby and hand it directly to her personal attendant.

Coincidentally, Concubine Yuan and the wife of the Duke of Guo from that year happened to give birth on the same day. Moreover, the wife of the Duke of Guo gave birth to precisely the boy she wanted.

Through Concubine Yuan's covert maneuvering, the newborn son of the Duke of Mo's house became the Third Prince, Nan Qi.

In fact, Concubine Yuan herself had also given birth to a boy. But because she believed too strongly in Master Wuchen's predictions, she had instructed the midwife not to announce anything when the child was born. Naturally, the midwife, who was bribed with silver, kept a tight lip and didn't say a word. She simply wrapped up the child and handed him over to the attendant.

As a result, aside from the midwife, everyone else was unaware at the time that Concubine Yuan had given birth to a little prince...

Only after the children had been switched did Concubine Yuan send someone to notify the Emperor.

When the Emperor heard that he had another prince, he was elated. He personally selected gifts and sent them to Concubine Yuan's palace.

The next day, when the personal attendant was about to silence the midwife, she learned that the concubine had actually given birth to a little prince as well, but had foolishly switched him with the Mo family's child...

When Concubine Yuan learned of this, she was heartbroken and inconsolable for quite some days.

But alas, the Emperor had already seen the Mo family's child, so even if she wanted to switch her own child back, it was completely impossible now. She could only let the mistake stand.

When Nan Qi turned five, it was time for him to start studying. Concubine Yuan made a request of the Emperor, saying that Mo Jiuye, the ninth son of the Mo family, was born on the same day as Nan Qi, and that was also a kind of fate. She hoped Mo Jiuye could become Nan Qi's study companion.

This way, she could see her own son regularly.

Emperor Shunwu had no objections. He immediately issued an decree summoning Mo Jiuye into the palace.

After reading this passage, He Zhiran sucked in a breath of cold air.

Although this book was unofficial history, the content recorded in unofficial histories was not necessarily all fabricated.

Much of the unofficial histories contained records of secrets unknown to the public - things those in power did not want passed down.

That was why they tried to obstruct the existence of unofficial histories.

However, many such unknown secrets were still passed down to this day.

If this record really existed, it would not be hard to understand why Nan Qi would suddenly make a move against Mo Jiuye.

He must have obtained some information and learned of the switched-at-birth incident between them. He was worried the truth would come out, so he took action against Mo Jiuye.