Ch 159 - 160

C159: The Number of Generals Can Only Be Counted

Mo Jiuye clutched a letter in his hand.

"This letter was written by Fei Nanyu. I'll find a safe place to read it later," he said.

Exiled prisoners were forbidden from exchanging letters with anyone. Although Peng Wang treated them well, Mo Jiuye didn't want to be too brazen in his affairs.

He Zhiran was eager to know the contents of the letter. By chance, Wu Jie happened to come over to help at that moment, so He Zhiran temporarily left her here and pulled Mo Jiuye back to their tent.

The contents of Fei Nanyu's letter were not very long.

First, he thanked them for helping protect Granny Fei, a favorable witness for him.

He also assured them that he would properly arrange a hiding place for Granny Fei. If his identity were to come to light one day, the first thing he would do is clear the injustice against the Mo Family.

In reading the letter, Mo Jiuye and He Zhiran looked beyond just the surface meaning.

When Fei Nanyu said "thank you for helping me protect Granny Fei," it showed that he was grateful to them.

And when he mentioned clearing the injustice against the Mo Family, it indicated that he clearly knew the Mo Family's full banishment was unjust, while also hinting at his intention to win over the Mo Family.

Mo Jiuye had completely lost confidence in the imperial court by now. As long as his family's name could be cleared, he would be very satisfied.

He had never considered anything more.

They both understood this history and chose to help Fei Nanyu out of self-interest.

From how things were developing, it seemed likely that the way the Mo Family's innocence would come to light could differ from historical records.

In any case, things were moving in a good direction, which was what both Mo Jiuye and He Zhiran were happy to see happen.

He Zhiran directly stored the letter in her space. The two of them acted as if nothing had happened and continued preparing lunch for everyone...

For three consecutive days, the city gates and docks remained sealed as more and more officials searched the city for Nan Heng's whereabouts.

News of Nan Heng's disappearance was also quickly sent by fast horse to the capital.

When Nan Heng had left the capital earlier, it was under the pretext of investigating the Salt Gang's strengths and weaknesses.

Undoubtedly, in Emperor Shunwu's mind, Nan Heng's disappearance was absolutely related to the Salt Gang.

The audacity of the Salt Gang had gone too far, to the point of daring to make a move against an imperial prince. This was something Emperor Shunwu could absolutely not tolerate.

Therefore, he decided to send people to lead an army of 10,000 to the salt lakes area, both to search for clues about Nan Heng's whereabouts and, more importantly, to completely destroy the Salt Gang's nest.

As a result, when this matter was discussed at the morning court session, surprisingly no one volunteered to lead the troops there.

The number of military generals in the Golden Hall could be counted on one hand.

Originally, with Mo Family members guarding the borders, some generals had the chance to take up posts in the capital.

Now that the entire Mo Family had been exiled, even those generals on the borders had resigned one after another.