Ch 91 - 92

C91: Stop right there

Although there was a reasonable plan, the floodwaters below the mountain had not yet receded, and Peng Wang was unable to go down the mountain to look for the county magistrate.

Faced with this situation, he could only wait patiently and hope that the flood would recede sooner.

He Zhiran had purchased enough herbal medicine last night, so things were settled on this side. She planned to arrange for the villagers to continue boiling medicine.

She didn't know if Village Chief Liu had let something slip, but those villagers already knew of their plague infection.

At this time, the villagers were somewhat agitated emotionally, and didn't even want to stay in the cave and wait to die. They desperately wanted to escape from here.

Although Village Chief Liu's mind was still relatively clear, he also believed He Zhiran’s words and did not allow those people to come out without her consent.

However, those villagers had been so frightened that they had lost all reason. With Village Chief Liu's strength alone, how could he stop them?

He Zhiran and Mo Jiuye came to the mouth of the cave. What met their eyes was the scene of the villagers pushing Village Chief Liu aside and rushing out.

Mo Jiuye shouted, "Everyone stand still!"

The leading villager was startled, then raised the axe in his hand and waved it at Mo Jiuye a couple of times.

"If you want to die then stay here, don't stop us."

How could Mo Jiuye possibly let these villagers leave? He rushed ahead to block the entrance of the cave.

He Zhiran also came up to stand beside him. The couple blocked the cave entrance.

The leading villager had only wanted to scare Mo Jiuye away with the axe. Now with them blocking the entrance, he didn't dare let his raised axe fall.

So the two sides stood still for about thirty seconds.

Peng Wang also heard the commotion here. He led the yamen runners to block the entrance, flashing out their sabers at the same time.

Seeing that the other side had weapons, the villagers instantly lost their previous momentum.

"Sir, please let us leave! We don't want to die yet."

He Zhiran stepped forward, standing in front of the speaker.

"Who said we’re letting you die?"

A villager said bitterly, "Some of us have already been infected with the plague. If we don't leave here and the government finds out, they will definitely lock us up and burn us alive."

Upon hearing this, He Zhiran patiently asked, "Didn't you all drink the medicine last night?"

Not understanding why she was asking, the villagers nodded in unison.

He Zhiran pointed to Li Tiezhu, who was being supported by his wife, "Tell everyone the truth, isn't your physical condition much better now compared to yesterday?"

Li Tiezhu instinctively touched the position under his jaw.

"The swelling here has indeed gone down."

He Zhiran then looked towards the other villagers who had previously shown symptoms.

"What about you all? Have the symptoms of fever and vomiting yesterday alleviated?"

A few people nodded woodenly, "I haven't vomited again since drinking the medicine."

"Apart from feeling a little dizzy, my other symptoms are gone."