Episode 58

Salex

Was I sweating? I rolled my shoulders a little, my uniform suddenly feeling a little tight over my chest as I stared across the room at the ten women seated before me. I had presented in front of the harshest military leaders in the universe, but this moment, I would gladly go back and do it all over again if it meant I didn't have to do this.

The surrogates, the ten of them that were awake, all watched me closely. Waiting. THis was my chance to finally clear the air, and even after multiple discussions with Oren and Hillary I was still more nervous than I should be.

I found Hillary, second row, her chair turned towards me as she cradled our youngling in her belly. My blood pressure slowed, seeing her there, smiling at me.

"Good morning," I started, the women all silent, curiously watching me. "I"m Salex, Alpha Commander of this vessel, the Losskee. I know that many of you have questions for myself and our leadership team, and I'm here today to put your questions to rest."

I rocked back on my heels, my boots squeaking slightly. No one moved, maybe someone in the back sniffled a little, but nothing else. A cold bead of sweat ran down my back. No sense in confusing them any further, these women deserved the truth.

"As I'm sure you noticed, you were all woken up from hypersleep before we reached the port on Trenzia. That was largely due to a significant engine failure we had. We initially believed that waking only one or two of you would be able to reroute the necessary energy without affecting the rest of you. Those two surrogates were Hillary, who carries my youngling and Kait. Kait was sitting back Hillary," Adra lurked by the door, clearly offended that Lylta had allowed his mate out of her bed while she was supposed to be resting.

"However, once they were awake we discovered a strange coincidence in that these two women are both what many called fated, to the both of the males that they are carrying for. The chances of that happening on its own, in a universe this size is nearly impossible."

Several women, including one with flaming red hair, turned to the person nearest to them. I could feel their whispers.

"When our Prime, the son of our leader, boarded our ship, he came forward with information that there is a belief that our surrogacy program, which is among the oldest and most successful in the known worlds, may have actually found a way to match up Trenzian's with their perfect mate."

A hand slowly raised. I blinked, confused at the gesture. It was tentative, the smooth tanned-skinned appendage shaking a little as it hovered in the air. Hillary looked back, noticed and then quickly looked at me.

"I think that Rae has a question."

The hand disappeared in a flash, but slowly a surrogate stood. She was clearly nervous, but stood tall. Her belly was hidden by the comfortable shirts they wore, but even then she must be earlier on in her pregnancy. Pushing back the thick dark hair from her face, she faced me.

"You say the perfect match for the Trenzian...but what about the human?"

"Great question," I nodded to her, smiling a little as she sat quickly, a dark haired woman leaning over to pat her back soothingly. "This was a concern for us as well. Other than our mates evoking a kind of love that can be....in Hillary's words, 'a lot', there was some concern about the bond that often forms between mates. We hdan't realized just how fast or strong since traditionally Surrogates are kept separate from the male they carry for. But our Prime has found a way to essentially cut off the bond on the Trenzian's side of the relationship. We tested it on myself and Hillary to be sure it works, and while she was less enthused about wearing my old clothing, she still very much wanted to stay with me."