Where's Keeho?

Chapter 39: Where's Keeho?

Soul was walking in the hauls of harmony high when he noticed...

Keeho wasn't there.

Soul furrowed his brow. Keeho was always early, always the first one making jokes or flashing a smile at Soul from across the room. But today? Nothing. The absence of Keeho's usual energy left the hall feeling strangely quiet.

Soul tried to brush it off at first, convincing himself that Keeho might just be running late. But as the day went on, Soul found it hard to focus. No Keeho in any of their shared classes. No sarcastic comments. No playful teasing. Soul couldn't help but feel an uncomfortable knot forming in his stomach.

During lunch, Soul sat with Intak, Jiung, and Jongseob. The conversation flowed easily between them, but Soul kept checking the cafeteria door, half-expecting Keeho to waltz in with a grin and some excuse for his absence. But it never happened.

"Yo, Soul?" Intak waved his hand in front of Soul's face, pulling him out of his thoughts. "You good, man?"

Soul blinked, startled. "Uh, yeah. Just... Keeho didn't come today."

Jongseob, barely looking up from his phone, shrugged. "Maybe he's just skipping. Wouldn't be the first time."

Soul frowned. Something about that didn't sit right with him. Keeho didn't just skip for no reason. There had to be more to it.

By the end of the school day, Soul couldn't shake the growing worry gnawing at him. Without really thinking it through, he found himself heading in the direction of Keeho's house. Maybe it was nothing. Maybe Keeho was just sick, or his phone had died. But Soul had to know.

Soul stood outside Keeho's front door, hesitating for a moment before knocking. He hadn't planned what he would say—he didn't even know if Keeho was home. But his concern outweighed the awkwardness, so he knocked softly.

A few moments passed before he heard footsteps approaching. The door swung open, and there was Keeho, looking a little disheveled, dressed in sweats and an oversized hoodie. His usual playful smirk was missing, replaced with a slightly surprised expression.

"Soul?" Keeho asked, rubbing the back of his neck. "What are you doing here?"

Soul shifted nervously on his feet, trying not to look too concerned. "You didn't come to school today, and you weren't answering your phone. I, um... just wanted to check on you. Are you okay?"

Keeho blinked, clearly caught off guard by Soul's sudden appearance. He let out a soft chuckle, though it lacked his usual energy. "I didn't think you'd notice."

Soul's brows furrowed, stepping a little closer. "Of course I noticed."

For a moment, neither of them spoke, the quiet stretching between them. Keeho sighed and opened the door wider. "Come in."

Inside, Soul could tell something was off. Keeho's usual confident, carefree demeanor seemed dimmed, like there was a weight he was carrying that he didn't want to show.

Soul sat on the couch as Keeho flopped down next to him, running a hand through his hair. After a long pause, Keeho spoke. "I just... needed a day off, you know? Things have been kind of... overwhelming."

Soul didn't say anything at first, letting the words settle. He knew Keeho was always the type to brush things off with jokes or flirty comments, but seeing him like this—vulnerable—made Soul realize how much he didn't know about what Keeho might be dealing with.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Soul asked softly.

Keeho gave him a sideways glance, his lips quirking into a small smile. "I didn't think you'd care that much. Besides, you've got your own stuff."

Soul's heart gave a little tug. "I care."

Keeho looked at him for a long moment, the seriousness in Soul's voice clearly catching him off guard. He let out a breath, his shoulders relaxing just a bit. "Thanks," he murmured.

They sat there in comfortable silence for a while, neither one needing to fill the space with words. Soul was just glad to be there, knowing that Keeho wasn't alone, and that maybe... just maybe... Keeho needed him as much as he needed Keeho.

˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .      . ✦     ˚     . ★⋆.

   .     ˚ ✭    *     ✦   .  .   ✦ ˚      ˚ .˚     ✭ .  .   ˚ .             ✦