∞ Chapter 2 ∞

~ Rayne ~

The look in her eyes made me shiver. 

The girl in front of me went from calm and happy-looking to frightened or even terrified. That’s how I knew. My eye colour wasn’t strong enough after ten days to be able to frighten people, they probably wouldn’t even notice when they wouldn’t pay enough attention.

It only took her half a second to figure it out, though. She knew things. I was completely sure of it and that made me incredibly curious. I had waited years for this; more knowledge on what I was. But apart from the look in her eyes, her soft pink cheeks going white, her heart racing, I couldn’t take my eyes of her. Her waist-long auburn hair that danced in the wind and shone in the sunlight, making even it brighter red than it really was, her large blue-grey eyes, her small nose, her strawberry face, her great legs in the tight navy coloured skinny jeans. She was breathtakingly beautiful.

And she was desperately trying to get away from me as fast as she could.

Why was she so terrified? I never saw her before. I didn’t do anything wrong, in my view anyway, but still, there she was; stumbling with her bike in attempt to get away. She finally got on her bike and cycled away. She never turned around to look at me again.

If I hadn’t been so mesmerized by her looks, I would have called her back. But by the time I snapped out of my spell, she was a hundred yards away. After a fight in my head for a minute, curiosity won and I jumped on my bike as well. I couldn’t let her go off like that, I wanted to know what happened in that half second between our touch and her looking in my eyes. Next to that, I wanted to see that beautiful pleased smile again just before she had seen me.

So, I followed her back to her home. I knew it was reckless, stupid, suspicious and creepy, but I also knew I wasn’t going to get her beautiful face out of my head if I walked away now either, so what choice did I have?

Keeping my distance, we drove through town. I didn’t want her to know that I was following her. That would make her even more afraid, for a good reason this time. After ten minutes she slowed down. I had cycled into a neat neighbourhood with alone standing houses. Most homes had a little porch at the front. There were trees about every four meters or so and parking placed across the street. I smelled the sea. The breaking waves on the shore and the smell of salt water. That meant that the ocean was close, maybe two miles farther, maybe closer. She stopped in front of a large, white house, not gigantic though. It had a little porch like the rest and on the first floor red curtains hung to the side of the window.  She dumped her bike against a fence and went inside.

I found a little bench about eleven yards from her house and sat down. She couldn’t see me here unless she would push her face up against the window. And I doubted that she would do that, so I was save here. I waited and frequently looked in the direction of her house, but she didn’t came out again. I must admit it even felt creepy for me to watch someone like this, but that didn’t stop me.