∞ Chapter 76 ∞

Kayley

Rayne had been acting weird at my house after we came back from Ava. He tried to hide it and was pretty successful until I looked into his eyes and noticed they were distant and angry. I knew for a fact his shift at Adan's wasn't until late, so I knew he was lying and didn't like how he acted at all. So, I pretended not to notice the difference and followed him at a distance right after he left. I felt like a distrusting girlfriend of the worst kind, but the last time he'd acted this weird was when he had contact with David. I wanted to trust that everything was okay, but he'd never lied to me and he seemed to angry to call him on it, so this seemed like my only option. I had been quite successful in my stalker-mode until he took a number of turns on small roads and I lost him. On my left was a huge ravine that seemed to end into nothing. What was he doing here? I had never been here before.

My gut was uneasy and it grew worse the longer it took to find him again. I had no idea what was going on, but my stomach twisted more by the minute. It was warm in my car, so I rolled my window down while I drove. Usually the breeze calmed me, but it did nothing for me now. Suddenly I heard deep grunts and growls. Holy shit, someone was fighting out here? What the hell? I sped up towards it and soon Rayne's car came into view, parked on a small path and in front of his a green one was parked as well.

Recognition hit. That was the same car that had followed us home after the festival. What the hell was going on?

I got out and jogged toward the grunts. Just as I passed the last trees to a clearing, I saw Rayne kick a tall guy in the chest. The guy pulled Rayne down with him as he grabbed his foot and I screamed and broke into a run as Rayne slid towards the edge and the other guy disappeared completely. I was too slow. I pushed the thought away, forcing myself to run even faster as I watched Rayne frantically search for something to hold on to. Only one arm was still above the edge. I let myself drop to the ground and grabbed Rayne's hand just after he lost his grip on the edge.

He looked at me, eyes wide in fear and surprize, his inhalations short. "Kayley? What – ?"

"I followed you," I explained quickly. His hand was sweaty and it was slowly slipping out of my grasp. No no no no. "Reach up your other hand so I can take it," I told him, not liking how my palm only grew more slippery by the second. He was so heavy.

"I can't, Connor broke and dislocated my arm. I can't use it anymore."

My stomach rolled. "That was Connor?" We stared at each other for half a second, both knowing where this was headed, but I refused to go there. I held on tighter and tighter but he was still slipping out of my grasp. I was too weak. It was getting harder and harder to hold on to his hand and my mind was panicking. I couldn't let go.

Rayne looked panicked as well, but suddenly a sad calm took over his features. "Baby, listen to me. I love you, Kayley. I will always love you, never forget that, but I want you to be happy. I want you to live your life the way you want to, find someone who treats you the way you deserve." A tear rolled down his cheek as nausea crawled up my throat.

I was shaking my head franticly, crying over and over, "No, Rayne. Don't say that. Stop."

"It's okay, baby. I never expected to be able to say good-bye. You made my life perfect, Kayley. Thank you for everything you did for me. I will always be with you, baby. I promise. Promise me you'll be happy."

My sobs grew uncontrollable and by now I only held his fingers. I couldn't lose him. I gripped harder, crunching his fingers, mine where so tired they cramped, but I was never letting go. My fingers slipped from his and I screamed. Rayne screamed too and tears were running free.