∞ Chapter 53 ∞

Rayne

I rolled over in my bed and found her warm body immediately. She lay on her side, face to the window, her back to me. The blankets rested on her hip, showing outline of her body in her light grey tank top. I smiled and wrapped my arms around her waist to cradle her against my body. My hand found hers and while she was definitely asleep, her fingers locked with mine. She smelled so good. I pressed my face in her hair between her shoulder blades and inhaled. She sighed softly.

Waking up next to her made the day look so much brighter than all the others already while it had barely started yet. Like nothing could go wrong. We both hadn't expected we could sleep in one bed again this weekend, but that had only made it so much better.

After we'd cleaned up the mess in the kitchen yesterday and we both changed clothes, we watched a movie with the four of us. It had been fun and we had lost track of time, so when the movie ended and no one was really in for going home, I had suggested to stay over. "I have airbeds you crash on. It's not going to be comfortable, but you can sleep here, if you like." I'd said.

Kayley's face had lit up as she realized that meant she could sleep in my bed for another night. Sam and Reece's eyes had widened in surprize, then they glanced at each other to see the reaction of the other, blushed as they realized they were doing the same thing and when they looked back at me their eyes were smiling.

The decision was made then. Kayley went upstairs with me to find the airbeds as Reece and Sam had another drink. "I really think they like each other," she had said as we searched through the boxes. I was sure they had to be here somewhere.

"I think so too." Although I never had had problems with Reece being gay, seeing his lips curl up into a small smile whenever he lay his eyes on Sam was strange. He never had a relationship when I was still in school and even though I had seen him crushing on someone, it had never been like this.

Kayley must have felt the same way, but she didn't really show it. Because although Reece and Sam tried to hide their sneaky peeks to each other for us, Kayley smiled every time she caught them. Which was often. They weren't very good at shooting each other subtle glances.

Surprisingly enough I hadn't heard them during the night. I figured that with Reece in my living room, and on top of that with a guy he fancied, during the night, they would have talked or laughed or just tumble over stuff as they searched for something to drink and keep me awake, but it had been silent and I had slept wonderfully with Kayley's body in my arms.

She must have woken up while I was lost in my thoughts about last night, because when I saw my own room again, she was brushing her fingers across my arm. "Rayne?"

"Yes?"

"Thanks for letting Sam and Reece stay over last night."

I grinned. "I like having a lot of people here. And it was for my own benefit too, of course." She rolled on her back to look up at me and smiled. "I knew you felt bad for leaving Sam on his own Friday night and this way you didn't have to feel guilty and I had you with me for another night."

One of her eyebrow had raised in the beginning, but now her eyes were glowing. "How did you know that? About Sam? I didn't tell you that." She had done pretty much the opposite, casually waved it away with her hand and a smile, but she couldn't fool me.

"I know you and the bond the two of you have. It wasn't hard to look through your little façade," I told her. A slightly embarrassed smile appeared on her lips, but faded soon.

What I loved about this, her staying over, was waking up next to her, smell her fresh shampoo on my sheets, her warm body pressing into mine, to see her face as the first thing in the morning. But it went beyond that. Here, with me as only werewolf we could talk and do what we wanted without the risk her mom could hear us. We didn't have to pay attention to every word we said and that felt so good.