∞ Chapter 59 ∞

Kayley

Heading into the forest, I took a deep breath. This was it. I needed to keep myself together, for me, for Rayne, so I controlled my breath. Getting out of my car, I walked to the spot where we agreed to meet and steadied myself. After one last check, I waited for him to come.

Now that Sam felt better after my father showed him he had accepted him after all and Reece assured my parents he would make sure Sam would be able to defend himself from now on, I remembered that I still had something to do. It had been pushed to the back of my mind for a few weeks, but I knew Sam didn't need my attention as much anymore as he had last week, especially now he and Reece could be themselves at our home as well. So, I had arranged a meeting between me and – a shiver crossed my spine only at the thought of his name – David.

Weeks ago, I had copied his number from Rayne's phone without his knowledge, still let by my strong urge to take revenge. By now, that feeling had decreased. Honestly, I was glad I had been distracted from this for two weeks. What had I wanted to do back then anyway? Tell David what he did was unacceptable and he would regret it? Right, that must have been very convincing, coming from a human to a werewolf.

So, since I had had the time to think this through, I now had arranged a whole event. Yesterday I had texted him with an anonymous call and told him to meet with me here in the forest. Next to that, two cops were close by, listening to what David and I would say. They hadn't liked the idea, but I was going to confront David and get him to admit he shot Rayne. That it had been as a wolf, the police didn't need to know.

Knowing two officers had my back didn't really calm me, though. Nobody knew I was doing this; I hadn't told Sam or my parents or even Rayne. Rayne would go crazy if he knew what I was doing right now. I know he would have stopped me. I had to do this, though. I could never be at ease knowing David still walked around when Rayne wouldn't answer my calls immediately. I would always freak out when I couldn't get in contact with him, terrified David had gotten to him.

Startled by the sound of a creaking branch, I snapped out of my thoughts. It was him. Tall, somewhat muscular, short brown hair. If you didn't know anything about him, he was good-looking for a middle aged male.

Seeing the man who shot Rayne in real life, walking up to me with this sly and at the same time self-confident smile on his face, made my gut twist uncomfortably and hate him even more than I already did in one beat. "Hello little girl," he drawled, smiling.

"Hi." I couldn't help but sound curt. My whole body was tense. This felt unnatural. My instinct told me to turn and just run for it, as far as I could. The further away, the saver it was. Instead I stood motionless. "Do you know who I am?"

He smirked and it looked evil. "Yes, but I must say, I had expected to see you earlier."

"Something came in between."

"So, what can I do for this small human girl?" His tone sounded full of genuine curiosity, but I knew better. I had to force myself not to scowl at him. Wait, what?

"Why had you expected me earlier?"

"Oh come on, you and I both know what happened a few weeks ago, I don't have to remind you of that. And next to that, humans are very predictable, I can tell you that." He was getting slightly irritated. That wasn't good. He needed to say the words.

"So, you admit that you shot Rayne?"

"Yes, of course," he shrugged, like it was a normal thing to do. "That's what you're here for. Revenge." He made it sound entertaining. My fists clenched with hatred and relieve. He said it, the cops heard it. Suddenly, the smile faded and his face turned furious.