∞ Chapter 28 ∞

~ Kayley ~

As the days passed Rayne slowly started to feel a little better again. He had assured me the first day that he could sleep at home again, so I let him, after I made sure he would call me whenever he wanted to, whether it was five pm or five am.

At three-thirty in the morning from Wednesday to Thursday I'd woken up to my vibrating pillow. "Hey," I'd said sleepy, yawning.

"Sorry I woke you," he'd immediately apologized.

"No, I told you to call me."

He sighed. "I miss you."

"I miss you too, should I come to you?" I asked.

He gulped. "No, are you crazy? You can't come over in the middle of the night."

"If you need it, I'm willing to come," I shrugged although I knew he couldn't see it. He exhaled a breath, but it sounded light, disbelieving and fully amused. "So, there's nothing wrong?" I asked, checking.

"No..." He dragged the word. I grinned. "Just needed to hear your voice."

I grinned again. "And is it working?"

"Always," he said confidently, then more hesitant, "So have you been up to something interesting since you went home?"

"Oh, no. I have a really boring life without you. Just ate and made homework."

"That is boring," he laughed, which made me grin even harder.

"Told ya."

After a conversation about nothing in particular with more chuckling and silent laughing, someone knocked on my door and opened it. My mother peeked her head through. She pointed at the phone on my ear and asked, "What's going on?"

I put my finger on the microphone and said, "I told Rayne to call me when he needed it, since it's his first night alone. Is it a problem?"

"No," she smiled. "Just try to keep it a bit quiet, so the rest doesn't wake up."

"Okay." I heard Rayne chuckle on the other side. "I think I just woke my mother with my noisy grin. She asked me whether I could turn the volume down," I whispered, causing Rayne to laugh loud.

"You're sexy like that."

"Like what?"

"Like that," he whispered in the same tone I had, unable to keep laughter out his voice.

I couldn't stop the shriek from escaping my lips for a second, causing me to clap my hand over my mouth before my mother knocking at my door. "I'm so sorry, mom. It won't happen again, I promise." I knew she could hear me through the wall. Rayne was doubling with laughter in my ear, making it really hard for me not to join him. "Shut up you, it wasn't funny," I said fake-mad with a low voice.

"Ha! Trust me, it was." I sighed dramatically, amusing him even more. Our conversation lasted another ten to fifteen minutes, his light laughter in my ear sometimes waking me up completely and filling me with a more than just a content feeling. When I hung up I felt relieved. He was doing better and that made me calm enough to let me fall asleep with a smile on my face.

The following days consisted of sitting through class, hoping that they passed fast, spending my lunch breaks with Rayne, worrying sick about Mallory who still hadn't appeared at school and didn't respond on our calls, ignoring Liam as best as I could and making my homework at Adan's, where Owen had told me I could use the back room Thursday, so I had more privacy. That way I spent as much time with Rayne as I could and could still keep up with school. Even Sam helped to make sure Rayne wasn't alone a lot. Friday his morning classes were dismissed and he went to Rayne's place to play guitar together.