∞ Chapter 9 ∞

~ Kayley ~

I drove to Rayne’s house with the sun shining bright in the clear blue sky, warming me up. I had searched where his house was located on the internet last night, so that I wouldn’t get lost.

What a humiliating scene would that be.

He lived in a small neighbourhood near the edge of our town Fort Bragg, where the woods started. The wooden houses were small, but from the outside they looked cosy. Between two light brown cabins there was a small, dark brown wooden house with number 44 beside the door. I parked my car on the little driveway next to his brown Toyota land cruiser and got out. The nerves that came along with seeing him soon were building up in my stomach. I took a deep breath as I passed the few steps to the stairs that led me to the front door. Another deep breath as I knocked.

He opened the door barely two seconds later, wearing a tight navy blue jeans with dark grey boots with their laces loosely crammed into them. Above he wore a V-necked  blue shirt and on top a leather jacket hung open. The blue shirt made his eyes seem blue instead of grey and his brown hair, the front part pointing into different directions, made him complete. In this light and in his own house, I saw him in a way I hadn’t before. He looked at ease this time, not tensed like how I had seen him during both our conversations. He was seriously handsome and this time that feeling lasted longer than the half second it did last time, when he had followed me and stood there in that bright red sunlight. I felt attracted to him.

Why?  How was that even possible? He was a werewolf for goodness sake.

I shook the strange thought away.

He smiled when he saw me and gestured for me to get inside. I walked through the door and came into a little hall. There was a black coat on one of the hooks on the wall and a grey vest hung beside it. Rayne reached around me from behind to open the door and I walked into his living room. There was a dark brown couch in the middle and a small table in front of it. To the right wall there stood a square wooden closet with a small TV standing in the middle and right to that an old looking fireplace. There were some drawings on the beige-coloured wall and there was another small closet straight behind his couch to the left wall. It wasn’t much, but it filled the room almost completely.

There was a huge window at the back of the small living room, taking up the whole wall, looking out to the reddish and green forest behind his backyard, but despite the enormous window and the bright sun shining outside, it was still dark in here, because of the roof at the back, above a little deck.

Rayne had asked for my coat, gestured me towards the couch and asked what I wanted to drink. I sat down on the couch until a faint smell of husky wolf touched my nose. I stood up and walked to the kitchen. There was a small table standing to the wall with four seats. Rayne had opened the fridge and took out a pack of juice. “You weren’t comfortable on the couch?” he asked smiling.

“No, the couch is fine. It’s just that… I’m afraid of the smell. I mean… I’m not afraid of the smell itself, of course, but that my mother will be able to smell it.” Mentally, I slapped myself in the face. I was making a complete fool out of myself.

Rayne thought it was funny though. He was chuckling as he took the two glasses from the cupboard and walked to the enormous window. He stood against the window, balancing himself on one foot as he tried to open the glass door with the other. I chuckled as I saw him stumbling with the door and tried to keep the glasses straight up at the same time. He finally managed to open it and walked out to the porch. He turned to me when we was outside and gestured to come after him.

“If you had just asked me to help you, that would have been a lot more graceful,” I said teasingly as I followed him.

He looked back over his shoulder and smiled. “I said I would show you I am a gentlemen.”