∞ Chapter 30 ∞

~ Rayne ~ 

When I pulled into Kayley's driveway early Monday morning, I saw her father coming through the front door, heading towards his car. The second he noticed my car, he made a beeline and came straight to me. Oh boy. "You're here for Kayley again?" With his hands on his hips and a frown deepening the lines of his forehead, me made me feel like an intrusion.

It's Kayley's dad, he is supposed to start liking you. He's just protecting his daughter. "Yes, mister Gaines, I am." I smiled, doing my best to come across as a decent person, but it wasn't easy with that scrutinizing look on his face.

"I have something to tell you, kid. You may be her boyfriend," he nearly spat the word, "and my wife may like you, though I still don't know how you achieved that, but don't clap your hands just yet. I don't trust you and when you make one mistake, by hurting my daughter or lying to my wife with your stories or whatever you might have in mind, I know where to find you and I will make clear personally that you will regret the rest of your life that you ever caused them pain. Is that clear?"

I swallowed, forcing to keep my eyes fixed on his, my voice surprisingly serious and under control when I said, "Yes sir, it is. And you have to know that I have no plans to hurt your daughter in any way, but I understand your concern and I will respect it."

He nodded, mouth set firm, content with my answer. "Well, that's all you needed to know." He turned around and walked to his car, slammed the door and wheeled out on to the street. I followed his car with my eyes until it was out of view. Well, that went smooth. I shook my head and focused back on the house, where I heard Kayley talk to Sam.

"So you think you have it under control?" Kayley asked.

Sam snorted, then sighed, "I hope so."

Kayley's voice was soft. "Sam, I know you will do fine, you spent every moment holed up in your room to study. You couldn't have worked harder."

"I hope so," he exclaimed during a deep breath and changed the subject. "You know that popular guy from your year, Liam or something? I saw him walking downtown Saturday, all hunched up under a sweatshirt with the hood up, trying to stay unnoticed, hand at his face, hiding. While he normally askes for all the attention he can get. I didn't understand why he was acting so weird, so I watched him and when he didn't pay attention for the slightest moment I saw his nose was all blue and swollen. You know what happened?" he asked curiously.

"How am I supposed to know, Sam?" she said harsh, but I knew she regretted it immediately by her intake of breath.

"Okay... It was just a question. Ease up. That reaction just told me you do know more about it." I could picture Sam's raising his hands in front of him.

Another sigh from Kayley. "It was me."

"What?" Sam asked surprised.

"I hit him. He went too far and it was the only way to stop him. I don't really want to talk about it." Sam was quiet, and so was I. I could hear in her voice she felt guilty. "Oh jeez Sam, do you really have to give me that look?" she said sulking.

"I just heard my sister smashed the hell out of her popular classmate, let's not forget that, and I'm not allowed to be surprized?"

"He tried to kiss me, Sam. He pressed his filthy body against mine and touched me all over, his hands filled with lust while he knows I'm with Rayne. The asshole did it at his work, where they both work." Her voice was filled with disgust, some words expressing the hatred she felt for him. "So, I shouldn't even feel for him a bit. He deserved it," she said confidently, and I could almost see her nod as a confirm in my head.