∞ Chapter 75 ∞

Rayne

This had been the most restless turn of my life. All night, I was on the edge, knowing, even as a werewolf, there was something huge going on, but I couldn't remember what, only that it was of major importance that it went well. My troubled mind even made the turn back to human harder, and a strange sound at the exact moment of turning had freaked out the wolf in me, who in that moment still had the upper hand. So, no, this was definitely not my best turn.

When I was human and saw the text message, though, I finally got rid of the tiniest bit of unease. The rest wouldn't leave until I heard from Kayley exactly what had happened last night, but it was a small step in the good direction.

By the time Kayley found me, my mind had been stuck between consciousness and unconsciousness for a long time and the nightmares that came with that state had my heart hammering as soon as I was more awake than fifty per cent, what was caused by the ringing of my phone for ten minutes straight. Hell, that was annoying.

When I felt her body close to me, though, I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her against me, forcing my eyes open. I had to see her. She smiled at me, her eyes bluish grey, no orange. I had so many questions, but I couldn't even open my mouth to voice them. I had screwed with my mind by being so stressed out, making me even more exhausted than I normally was. I tensed with annoyance for myself.

"It's okay, Rayne. It's okay to close your eyes. Go sleep. We'll get you in the wheelbarrow. I'm fine," Kayley said, softly rubbing my back. I hadn't realized I had shut them again until she told me.

But I didn't want to sleep. I wanted her to tell me everything that happened. My eyes refused to go open again. I tried, I really did, but they remained shut. "Did Sam come?"

Kayley chuckled softly and it felt like music to my ears. "Yes, he did. Everything's fine, Rayne. I promise."

I slipped in and out of unconsciousness as Kayley and her father got me into the wheelbarrow and home. I was aware of the slight argument between them when I was in front of my house, something about the fact that Kayley's father didn't like that she was staying with me, but Kayley was resolute and basically shoved him out of the door. Well, to be honest, she probably never let him in. I was lulled into sleep again a second after my head came down on the pillows.

When I woke up, two cups with damping tea stood on the coffee table and I smelled potatoes, vegetables and chicken. I heard light footsteps coming my way and then Kayley appeared, sitting down next to me, smiling. "Hey, honey."

I smiled at her before checking the time. Four o'clock. Why was I still so fucking tired? I mean, I was never fully awake at this time, but this was just insane. We had so much to talk about and I couldn't even get myself to sit up straight.

"You were in a deep slumber. I dropped a pan to the floor, making a hell of a noise and you didn't even wake up," Kayley grinned.

Reaching for her hand, I squeezed it gently. "Yeah, tell me about it." If I would give in and close my eyes, I would be sleeping within thirty seconds again. Refusing to let that happen, I forced myself to sit up and wrap my arm around Kayley as she crawled beside me.

"If you're hungry, dinner is almost ready. I have to go afterwards, though. My dad is already pissed at me for being here all day." She didn't sound like she cared about her dad being mad at all, but I was still stuck on one part.

"You stayed here all day?"

"Yeah, I knew you were upset when I found you, and I thought, if you wake up early, I can show you I really am fine. And by the way, my mom is asleep, Sam is hanging out with Reece, I wasn't in for being around my dad all day and I can make my homework here as well." She shrugged, smiling. "It's not like you mind either."